_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
DW street dio update. Figures and water (pics
DGeraths
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 03:08 PM UTC
Here are further pictures of the Dragon Wagon Diorama. I have done all kinds of water and have made it kind of a specialty but in this case since it was supposed to be stagnant, still water it was rather easy. I used epoxy resin for this water which was a first for me. I normally use acrylic resins for my water because of its wonderful clarity but this water needed to be murky and muddy so epoxy worked just fine.
The first layer was dyed dark green, the next a shade lighter with some brown included and the final layer was dyed just barely with a light tan mud-like color. The photos don't really give any indication of color change but there is a little bit more in person than can be seen here. I have included a kind of before and after pic of the scene so far.
The street is pretty much done and the vehicles are within just a couple of small touches of being finished. Now it is time to complete the scene with figures.

I have included some photos of the civilian figures that are taking part in the scene. This is the little girl that will be holding a bundle of flowers to be placed on the tank (which will have several different bundles of flowers and such on it already) She will be walking toward a crewman that is preparing the tank to be drug aboard the trailer.
I posted a synopsis of the story earlier on this site. Thanks for looking!

Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 05:37 PM UTC
What can I possibly say...just terrific. You leave me wanting more, more, more!
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 05:55 PM UTC
Great !
Where did you find these civilian figures ?
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 06:25 PM UTC

..............sob..............................

Going home, gonna burn my brushes.
Man, youŽre an Artist.

Toni
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 07:15 PM UTC
Great looking diorama. I wish it was finished, so get stuck in to we see the final pictures. There seems to be just the right amount of rubble in all the right places ---- thats what I like, it makes it a true picture. great vehicles also. What building did you use and from whom? All the best, Sarge
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 09:30 PM UTC
Wow, that's just a great dio! Everything is so realistic.
As one guy said about someone else sometime. 'The guy's got skill!'
Hey Sarge! Welcome to the site! I like your quote.
Quoted Text

If I can build it, IŽll send YOU a picture

YodaMan
Go Red Wings!!!
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 09:42 PM UTC
Are we looking at the work of the next Shep Paine? I think we could argue that point to good effect.

Well, this is just simply amazing and just keeps getting better and better. Your talent is unbelievable. Specifically, I love the floating debris in the water and the bent lamp post-nice touches. At first glance, it's hard to appreciate how much work has gone into this until you realize that the Dragon Wagon is a huge undertaking in itself.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 11:03 PM UTC
Dana,
Very nice idea on changing to the still water effect. It all looks great and thanks for sharing it as it comes together. If, when you are finished, you'd like to host the "making of" pics somewhere please consider Armorama as a home for them. Of course an article would be great. Wanna win another Dragon Wagon???

I know the water phase is probably done but I thought of a cool effect that would add another dimension to the water. What about an oil or gas leak from the floating barrel?

Cheers,
Jim
DGeraths
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great !
Where did you find these civilian figures ?

The two figures shown are from Custom Dioramics. I believe they are new to the modeling world and it looks as though they produce some nice stuff. They produce figures that you normally cannot find, i.e. civilians, children, etc; as well as the standard stuff.

DGeraths
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 11:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What building did you use and from whom? All the best, Sarge

The buildings are slightly modified Verlinden. I don't remember the name of the buildings though. I got the kits second hand from a friend and they were in pretty bad shape. I had to re-sculpt quite a bit of the corner building to get it to work for the scene.
DGeraths
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 11:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know the water phase is probably done but I thought of a cool effect that would add another dimension to the water. What about an oil or gas leak from the floating barrel?

Cheers,
Jim

I was thinking that same thing myself. Floating oil is a hard effect to get for sure but I might give it a shot.

I still have one slight layer to go on the water anyway so maybe I will. I normally airbrush slight discolorations in the water then give the whole surface a final coat of high gloss varnish. Maybe before I do that I will paint in some oil seeping out of the drum and run it slightly down stream to give just a little effect of movement in the water. Guess I will have to flip my favorite coin on this one.
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 03:37 AM UTC
Wonderful work D. Just can't say it enough.

I love how it all blends together, the models really look liked they've lived in that world for a while. Well done.

Can't wait to see it finished in, what, three days? Maybe?

-Paul
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 05:46 AM UTC
Your the next Shep Paine !!!!! You should do up a book.
 _GOTOTOP