_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Magagh 7a question
dylans
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
Armorama: 380 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 05:55 AM UTC
I am starting on my legend Magach 7a conversion, and i have been unable to find thier track set instock at my usual suppliers. to my eye it looks almost the same as the track on the merkava

so the question is, how similar to the merkava track is it?
i have a set of fruil. tracks for the merkava. is it just a matter of modifying the drive sprocket?
tia
Dylan
redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 06:24 AM UTC
Hi Dylan,

I had a similar querie when I built my 6B -GAL which, like the Magach, is based on the M-60 chassis. From memory and like the 6B- GAL, I think they used early Merkava tracks and drive sprockets from the Merk 1. What I did is to use the Academy M60 "Blazer" as the base kit as it has both the 'normal' M60 sprockets and also a set of the Merkava type sprockets which is what I used. I don't think the other Academy boxings of the M-60 had this 2nd type of sprocket? - so check your references.

Purists will tell you the Merk type sprockets in the Academy kit are not a perfect copy but they were 'OK' to my eye and so I went with them. As luck would have it, the Friul Merkava 1& 2 track links (ALT / 63) fitted the sprocket halves perfectly!

As a tip however, I suggest you do a small run of the tracks ready fitted and use them as a sort of 'jig' whilst the sprocket halves are glued / set up to ensure perfect drive alignment /wrap around of the links.

There are a few dedicated IDF modellers on Armorama who can prboably give you a more definative reply - Michael Mass for example who's ' Desert Eagle ' IDF books I use as my sole references - may well pop up on this thread and advise you accordingly .

Take a look at my 1/35 6B GAL in my personal file under "Feature Articles" and see if the tracks/sprocket I used looks right for your own project?

Cheers Dylan and hope you get sorted out OK.

Gary
dylans
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
Armorama: 380 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 08:51 AM UTC
thanks for the info Gary.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 09:29 AM UTC
The Academy Merkava sprockets provided are not quite correct, as Gary mentions. I suggest MR Models drive sprockets plus Friul ALT-66 Merkava 2 tracks. Legend also make resin ones.
MR Model
Legend

Jim
 _GOTOTOP