green hell
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 10:27 AM UTC
hello all,
please find a not yet finished vignette suited for two marines strugling hand to hand fight in the jungle, which I've done for the pacific campaign on Historicus forma. I used 100% natural product picked during holidays and trecking (except the jungle plant on the top left which is joefix product).
In the back of the left corner there will be a mini palm tree I'm currently working on.
I hope you'll like it. Any advice to imrpove it is welcome as it's not 100% finished.
Best,
Julien

and now as if you were one of the little grey army men..

AloisNebel
Visit this Community
Severomoravsky Kraj, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 06:25 PM UTC
Impressive work. Can´t wait to see it finished.

V.
orange_3D
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 06:43 PM UTC
Not often that you see this quality, very convincing ground work! can't wait to see this finished.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 07:43 PM UTC
Great! I like it alot... Somehow I got the impression you're planning to add a layer of shallow water to the bottom part of the base?

BTW, how do you like joefix plants?

Mario
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 08:04 PM UTC
Hi Julien,

Did you conserve your plants somewhat? These are all from the sort of stuff i hesitate to use.

Looks good, nothing to ad from my point!

Claude
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 08:12 PM UTC
Super Julien!
I like the angle of terrain you have achieved in such a small scene... The natural products included compliment each other, and like Claude I have reservations but I assume you have sealed them all with glycerine?
Look forward to how you progress...
Brad
Mohawk73
Visit this Community
Friesland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 388 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 08:35 PM UTC
Fantastic groundwork!
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,938 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 09:35 PM UTC
Yo Julien,

A very good build up from the scene. a nice depth in the vegetation and just wonderfull roots you have placed! I should leave the plant with the four or five flowers on it...looks a bit abstract to me...but it can be in nature offcourse

You could converse your real vegetation with..I think...glycerine...so little animals will leave it beside and there will be no colorfading.

Up to the figies!

Greetz Nico
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 10:52 PM UTC
Hell all,

It's really great to see encouragements from you. Really much appreciated !
Thanks to all of you.

@ Mario : the path is supposed to be a ravine transformed in waterfall during the rainy season. That's why the roots are visible. But my marines are fighting in the hotty season so no water. I thought of doing that once in the building stage, but I would have to put one of my kneeling marine in it and I'm afraid of the result. Regarding Joefix, they have a wide range of product,s specially for jungle (a bit expensive though). Their product are great for large scale diorama, but it doesn't compete with natural product re. realism for small scale vignette. And you need to paint them carefully to make them realisitic.

@Claude : it changes from my last vignette (russian sailor with poor vegetation !) on which you fired on. No I didn't use any conservative on them. They are all dried. I do not use conservative because : I've learn that only recently in How to build diorama (a very nice book btw, same philosophy than mine), and those plants have been brought back from trips, where I didn't had glycérine with me. If they fade away a little more I will then paint them..

@hello mister Bradley, always a pleasure to read your comment ! still in the muddy dio ? And no sealing..arf...next time I will take care of that. regarding the angle, oddly enough, I first thought to present it the other way; from the opposite side (the lower part in the top right corner). Morale : Always try different positions/angles/products/colors until it's fully finished

@Nico : Thanks for the compliment. I don't see to what plant you are refering to : the one on the top left or the one on the top right (carnivorous ) ? I like the right because it bring a litlle colors in the vignette. The left one is a bit big, but I think it add diversity. Unfortunately I'm out of plant in my spare box, so I won't be able to have any alternative The figgies are made, just one face to paint and few raccords left.

Thanks guys, I'm up for finishing the vignette soon. Funny to say that the flower and leaves came from Ireland, Vietnam, Perpignan, Savoy : it's like a holiday photo album for wirdos like us...

Best,
Julien
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 11:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Claude : it changes from my last vignette (russian sailor with poor vegetation !) on which you fired on.

LOL, and as i see it was good to fire you up a bit! Isn't this what forums are for?
The progress and quality difference between the two is very big and you managed to to a fine vignette this time. Well done.

Claude

kaiserine
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 383 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 01:01 AM UTC
Hi friend, very nice indeed, can feel the creeping of the jungle on your vignette.
Take care!

Alex.
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 01:18 AM UTC
Merci Monsieur Claude !
I've got such a high pressure now due to your review
Hey Kaiserine, you were the only one missing (with JBA, but he seems to be way those days). Thanks for the comment. How about your jungle scenery, which looked pretty fine?
Best,
Julien
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 02:06 AM UTC
Hi Julien,

Nice vignette, simple and well done. Can you tell me what plants/herbs you used.
Regards,
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 02:52 AM UTC
Hello Vladimir,

Thanks for the comment.
Your question is embarrassing because I don't know the answer.
You know I collect plant for the hobby since I'm around 10, when trekking in the nature.
The rampant green plant you see every where, I found it in Ireland, in the Wiclow county near Dublin, near a waterfall in a japanese garden
The plant with tiny yellow balls, I found it in Cambodgia when visiting Siem Reap temples, it was on the ground and I picked them..Same for dead leaves on the ground I found in Bali (they were lived at that time).
The carnivorous flowers is dried provence aromats (I don't remind which one)
roots are natural one picked in the forest.
Dried white fowers comes from a wedding bunch.

Anyway, go in the nature, pay attention and you will find some treasures. For jungle scenes, what I can tell you in that asiatic countries with a lot of humidity gives hundreds of products for free. I don't know though Lebanese flora

Best,
Julien
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,938 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 09:54 AM UTC
Yo Julien,

Quoted Text

I don't see to what plant you are refering to : the one on the top left or the one on the top right (carnivorous ) ? I like the right because it bring a litlle colors in the vignette.

Yes this is the one but like I said...it looks natural...only my two cent

Greetz Nico
Herper55
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 10:36 AM UTC
Really good job! I might have missed this. What era where you plaining on having the marines?
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 12:36 PM UTC
Hey Julien, very nice scene, looks convincing. Mind the small flower plants as you go on, they will get very brittle even if you paint them latter. The only thing I would add would be some ferns, maybe brownish as you stated it was the dry season.
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 02:30 AM UTC
Thanks’ for the reply Julien. I unfortunately live in Dubai and it is very rare to find plants in the desert. But I might be visiting Europe again this time I will look out for different plants.

I can’t wait to see the figures in place, thanks again.

Regards,
 _GOTOTOP