_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Panzer Shop VT-55 Question
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 04:27 PM UTC
Well I just got Panzershop's VT-55 in the mail today, thought I would treat myself to something a little bit different with my tax return. Does anybody know what they based their kit on? The lower hull does not much up with the trumpeter T-55 I have nor does it match any pictures I've seen of Tamiya's kit. Is it possible they based it on the older Esci kit or maybe Skif's? If so, how do the dimensions on the Esci or Skif kit compare to Tamiya's? I'm wanting to rebuild the engine deck so I can open up the armor covers for the air intakes and plan to use Eduard's photo etch set for this area, but don't want to spend the money if the parts for the Tamiya kit will not line up or are too wide.

Also, are there any other country outside of the Czech republic or Slovak army that operates this tank? Possibly Finland, East German NVA or Polish, I would like to try to keep it in the warsaw pack.

Chris
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 06:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, are there any other country outside of the Czech republic or Slovak army that operates this tank? Possibly Finland, East German NVA or Polish, I would like to try to keep it in the warsaw pack.

Chris

Hi Christopher
As far as I know VT 55 has been utilized just by czeck and slovak, but there is an export versioan for not pact warsaw countries called VT-55KS

VT 55 SK has been utilized by Syria Irak and arab countries

http://forum.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/t/83716

For the kit unfortunately I can't help you

Cheers
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 03:30 AM UTC
Panzershop has done kits, over the years, for the esci kit, then the Trumpeter kit, and then the Tamiya kit. Does your box give any indication of which kit it should go to? With three "generations" of kits out there, it may be you just have to do some trial and error fitting. Fun, eh?

As for use, my understanding is that several VT-55 were in Soviet/Russian service. Not a lot, mind you, but a few. Anyone confirm?
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 04:02 AM UTC
Thanks guys for your help. I knew about the Syria version. I may or may not make this version.

Jacques, the box does not indicate which version I have. I got it through Great Models and may have been sitting on their shelves for a while. I think it might be an older Esci kit since I manage to find a picture of a Skif's lower hull and the details don't match up. How much wider is the Esci kit compaired to Tamiya?

I did manage to come across a Sir Lankan in overall green

I just wish I knew which country these are from as I like the camo job on them

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 05:54 AM UTC
Nice camo indeed

Slovak troops

I found those pics here

http://www.militaryfoto.sk/pages/page.php?page=104nld&idxPage=1

http://www.militaryfoto.sk/index1.php

and here

http://www.militaryfoto.sk/image/104nld/05.jpg

you can find other references (czech army) here

http://www.brdm2.estranky.cz/fotoalbum/tanky/jerabovy-vyprostovaci-buldozerovy-tank-jvbt-55a/

East Germany has used a tank very similar to Vt 55 called T55-T

cheers
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 03:08 PM UTC
Thanks Mauro, now I can place the camo pattern with slovak army. I do like the east german version, looks like the only difference between the czech and germans is the wading trunk for the tc hatch and a different storage basket on the rear hull.

I did manage at least to find out that my kit is based on the older esci t-55. So I can at least get the right photo etch parts for the engine deck.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 11:57 PM UTC
Glad to could help you.

I hope to see your model soon

cheers
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 10:17 AM UTC
You're right about the eastern german (NVA) version: there shouldn't be any major differences besides the wading utilities. If you're interested in building that one I can probably search for some pics in all my NVA-books.... if so just send me PM (don't want to hijack your thread)
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 02:47 PM UTC
Thanks Marian, I'll will keep that in mind. I still haven't decided which variant I want to build just yet. I'm still trying to do as much research as I can before I start to build this kit and pick up a few more things for it. By the way, are there any pictures of the German version with the BTU-55 installed? I have one coming in the mail next week since my kit did not have one in it. Even though they provided a few parts for the blade, would of been nice to have the full blade.
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 11:54 PM UTC
So why didn't you just order Panzershops "ZS-55A Combat Engineer tank" for only 5 more bucks? As far as I can say there is a full blade provided with this kit...

Well as I said: I will have a look through my books and if I find something: you'll get it

EDIT:
Just had a quick look through my material and could only find pics without the blade... so I wouldn't go for an NVA-version with blade as long as there is no proof for it. IMHO: it wasn't intended to mount the dozerblade on the NVA T-55T since there was almost always this (tank)-recovery frame assembled (see on the pics above)

Can anybody confirm this?
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 12:38 AM UTC
Marian would you mind answering me to a question about the bergepanzer t55 t?

As far as you know the big snorkel on the left is optional?

If I was Christofer i did the Slovak vt 55. I like NVA tanks but that 3 camo scheme is too beautiful to be ignored

Just my opinion anyway

cheers
Removed by original poster on 02/20/11 - 13:01:45 (GMT).
dr_mazgan
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 01:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Chris

Hi Christopher
As far as I know VT 55 has been utilized just by czeck and slovak, but there is an export versioan for not pact warsaw countries called VT-55KS

VT 55 SK has been utilized by Syria Irak and arab countries

http://forum.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/t/83716

For the kit unfortunately I can't help you

Cheers

That photo is an Israeli one at Latrun. It has been used in Israeli service, can you see the rubber mud flaps (think flaps is right word).
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 01:23 AM UTC
I was looking for other pics and i noticed that the Vt 55 depicted on Primeportal, actually has the NVA insignas...

http://www.primeportal.net/recovery/ulrich_wrede/t55_arv/

So....actually is a t55t...
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Marian would you mind answering me to a question about the bergepanzer t55 t?

As far as you know the big snorkel on the left is optional?

If I was Christofer i did the Slovak vt 55. I like NVA tanks but that 3 camo scheme is too beautiful to be ignored

Just my opinion anyway

cheers

This tunnel is a part of all the NVA T-55T "Tank Towing Vehicles" (literal translation from german). The T-55T was often used as a "security vehicle" when driving through water was trained by other T-55s but was of course also able to go through the water without any extra truck carrying the tunnel: it had its own tunnel always present.
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 02:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Mauro, now I can place the camo pattern with slovak army. I do like the east german version, looks like the only difference between the czech and germans is the wading trunk for the tc hatch and a different storage basket on the rear hull.

I did manage at least to find out that my kit is based on the older esci t-55. So I can at least get the right photo etch parts for the engine deck.

About the Slovak camouflage (also Czech use it I believe). It is painted over the standard green and is only temporary. After a while it gets worn really badly. I still want to make a Czech T-72 with this weathered camouflage one day
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 03:13 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply Marian

Quoted Text

About the Slovak camouflage (also Czech use it I believe). It is painted over the standard green and is only temporary. After a while it gets worn really badly. I still want to make a Czech T-72 with this weathered camouflage one day

Mat, me too when i saw that t 72 with those "psychedelic camo" , i though that it would be nice doing one painted in that way

Do you know in what particular conditions this temprary camo is adopted?
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 03:45 AM UTC
Thanks guys for all your help. I went with the VT-55 as it was the only one instock at the time and was not sure if the dozer blade was included. Like Jacques said earlier, there are three generations of kits out there. I just took a gamble to see what would be included in the kit. There is a review over on the perth website of this kit, but their sample build into either a ZS or VT and includes the blade, parts from model point, along with rope and wire. My kit did not even include the rope and wire. No big deal for me and the blade I got almost for nothing. Like I said I'm still researching the tank before I start the build, but it's also going to depend on how hard it will be to paint everything with all the fittings and equipment installed.
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 07:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the reply Marian

Quoted Text

Mat, me too when i saw that t 72 with those "psychedelic camo" , i though that it would be nice doing one painted in that way

Do you know in what particular conditions this temprary camo is adopted?

I have the info somewhere in one of my T-72 books, still somewhere in one of the 1000 boxes left over after moving to my new house I believe it is a summer camouflage and the paints are water soluable, kind of like the whitewash you often see for winter camouflage. It would be the perfect scheme for that hairspray technique...
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 08:21 AM UTC
That would be cool to try out. I'm starting to lean more towards doing a Slovak version. Would add some interest in seeing a weather beaten tank with the base paint showing through the temp camo.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 08:43 AM UTC
Here are just a few pictures of the hull parts from the kit. As you can see the lower hull is from the old Esci kit. The bad thing is the resin is very brittle and the hull was cracked when I received the kit in the mail. Also while cleaning the kit up, one of the mounting post for the idler wheel went flying off into never never land and I have not been able to find it yet.

The upper hull is nicely cast with just a few areas to clean up. I plan to replace the rear engine deck to open up the armor covers for the intakes.

The real big let down of the kit is the main parts for the crane hoist is badly cast and needs to be rebuilt.

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 06:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the info somewhere in one of my T-72 books, still somewhere in one of the 1000 boxes left over after moving to my new house I believe it is a summer camouflage and the paints are water soluable, kind of like the whitewash you often see for winter camouflage. It would be the perfect scheme for that hairspray technique...

Coooool! Even cooler than i thought. I've a hundred of unfinished kit in my stash, but it makes me want to buy immediatly a Tamiya T72 kit and try to reproduce it

Quoted Text

Here are just a few pictures of the hull parts from the kit. As you can see the lower hull is from the old Esci kit. The bad thing is the resin is very brittle and the hull was cracked when I received the kit in the mail. Also while cleaning the kit up, one of the mounting post for the idler wheel went flying off into never never land and I have not been able to find it yet.
The upper hull is nicely cast with just a few areas to clean up. I plan to replace the rear engine deck to open up the armor covers for the intakes.

The real big let down of the kit is the main parts for the crane hoist is badly cast and needs to be rebuilt.

Christopher, apart the resin flawns, you'll have to work quite a lot indeed
Unfortunately lower hull of Esci kit it's rather wrong

(Tamiya lower hull. Almost perfect in dimensions and shape)

In Panzer shop kit are the last suspension arms pointed toward the front or the rear of the tank?
In Esci (Italeri) kit they are pointed backward and that's an issue hard to correct

(Trumpeter 1/72 T55 lower hull with the right arm suspensions reproduction)

Otherwise, upper hull is very nice and i'm sure you'll be able to do a stunning work

After all, too perfect kits are less fun in my opinion

Anyway in my HD I have about 1,5 Gb of t55 references .
If you need some pic fell free to ask me

cheers

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 07:28 PM UTC
I already knew that the Esci kit has a really bad rendition of the lower hull. Yes panzershop has the wrong suspension arms, they all point the same direction. The rear arms should point foward just like on the T-62, which I'm going to cast some copies off of. I'm going to try to correct the lower hull the best I can without rebuilding the whole thing. If I can get it to look somewhat like it suppose too, thing I will be happy with it, I'm not going to hog wild in this area. The other thing is the mounting boses for the mine clearing equipment are wrong, their missing all the bolt heads and need to be added. I have a spare trumpeter kit that I might be able to pull these from, just need to dig the kit out to look at them.

Thanks Mauro, I will probably will hit you up on the pictures, mostly interested in the driver's area and the engine compartment when I get ready to start the build.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 07:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I already knew that the Esci kit has a really bad rendition of the lower hull. Yes panzershop has the wrong suspension arms, they all point the same direction. The rear arms should point foward just like on the T-62, which I'm going to cast some copies off of. I'm going to try to correct the lower hull the best I can without rebuilding the whole thing. If I can get it to look somewhat like it suppose too, thing I will be happy with it, I'm not going to hog wild in this area. The other thing is the mounting boses for the mine clearing equipment are wrong, their missing all the bolt heads and need to be added. I have a spare trumpeter kit that I might be able to pull these from, just need to dig the kit out to look at them.

Thanks Mauro, I will probably will hit you up on the pictures, mostly interested in the driver's area and the engine compartment when I get ready to start the build.

I'll try to correct the Esci lower hull and I'm thinking that the inversion of the last suspension arms was enough to fix it...But unfortunately It wasn't
Changing the suspension direction means also changing all the suspension housings. If you change all the suspension housings you' ve also to change the suspensions arms because they are too long to obtain the correct distance beetween the wheels. in my very humble opinion there are just two solutions.

1Rebuild the whole lower hull (I did this way mostly to improve my scratch building skill)
2 (Well, actually that isn't a solution ) Leave the hull with any changes.Eventually after the wheels mounting, suspension arms are hardly visible

Anyway, I will be very glad to help you with the references.
Let me know...and good work
panzershop
Visit this Community
Jihocesky Kraj, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 08:13 PM UTC
all Friends, my VT-55 (or ZS-55) is very very old kit. Yes, bassis chassis is from Esci. problem is only one, that is not simple make new model on Tamiya chassis......
But my VT-55 is only one on the market, not exist any next kit from resin or plastic.
Allready, If any parts are demage or destroy or incorrect or wrong I send NEW for all customers!!!!!!!! Customer only must send on email info.
 _GOTOTOP