Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon 1:72 T34/76 model 1940 completed
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 06:28 PM UTC
Finally finished this little T34-76 and took some quick snaps to share.

I will take some better ones once I find some time to set up my photo area. Though I am not sure when that will actually happen. It has been bedlam here of late and to add to the confusion our oldest daughter, whose partner is in the RAN has had to move her wedding forward by six months as he will be deployed to sea sometime in July.

That makes it two weddings and the birth of our first grandchild in the space of six months.

Life getting in the way of my hobby...how rude!

Back to the T34/76 which has been painted with Vallejo acrylics and weathered with oils and MIG pigments. I tried several newer techniques with this build. Two of most note were a pre-pin wash of pure black and a gentle "scrub" of lightened green in the middle of panels and flat areas using a very, very dry brush. This gave a subtle graduated tonal highlight similar but more controlled than an airbrush. Once toned down slightly with filters, the final result really removed the monotone finish.

The lone figure is a Preiser Soviet tank crewman and the 44gal drums are self cast resin mastered from spares of unknown origin. The fence is laser cut wood, which I weathered accordingly.

Hope you like my T34/76 model 1940.
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 08:01 PM UTC
Hi Sabredog

theres nothing not to like !

I have this eerie feeling of deja vu when I look at the pics

cheers
Neil
hedorah59
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 05:51 AM UTC
Thanks for describing your painting technique - I really like how it looks. I may have to give it a go one of these days
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 07:06 AM UTC
Michael,

Nice T-34. It seems to me there should be more of the reddish-brown dust on the rest of the hull since the tracks and roadwheels are so "coated" with it, at least on the lower surfaces. But it could be the pictures fail to show the actual finished colors properly.

"...two weddings and the birth of our first grandchild in the space of six months."

Punishment and REWARD, Sir!
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 08:20 AM UTC
sabredog, Have I seen these images before, deja-vu. IT's great what you do with these single colour subjects. With all the T-34 Braille builds that I have seen lately, I am kind of drawn to trying one. Though I have only done camo modern things so far.

Regards,
AJ
Braille
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 08:36 AM UTC
Michael,

Yet another great build of yours! I too like your color treatment on this single colored vehicle. Your figure looks terrific adding scale, interest and action to both the vehicle and realistic looking ground work. The fence looks the part and gives balance to your vignette. I like the way you paint your wooden handles on all of your builds. They look so true to scale and weathered.

Michael, where are you finding those rounded off square pieces that your using to fix your vehicles and ground work to? They don't seem to take up a lot of space. My wife and I are in a small apartment and these look ideal for displaying my upcoming 72nd builds on and placing them in a small display case in our living room.

Congratulations on both your new additions to your family and especially on your first grandchild. May you always be so graciously blessed.

-Eddy
Firefly74
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 224 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 05:03 PM UTC
Very nice T34. A great finish on a monotone AFV, and a great little display Dio. Thanks for sharing your painting and finishing techniques,always helpful to hear different ways of doing things.
And yes,where are you getting those nice little bases from?
Cheers,
Tim
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 08:33 PM UTC
Hi Michael,

Your dio looks good and well balanced. Good work.

P.A.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 08:53 PM UTC
It looks very nice, congrats indeed
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 02:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael, where are you finding those rounded off square pieces that your using to fix your vehicles and ground work to? They don't seem to take up a lot of space. My wife and I are in a small apartment and these look ideal for displaying my upcoming 72nd builds on and placing them in a small display case in our living room.
-Eddy

Quoted Text

...And yes,where are you getting those nice little bases from?
Cheers,
Tim

Thanks for the kind words

Eddy and Tim. I purchase these MDF bases from the craft section of Bunnings, a large hardware chain here in Australia. I am sure Tim knows the company. However I would imagine any craft store anywhere would carry these as they are simply blank drink coasters.

I am not keen on chunky bases and I find these are pretty much perfect for my needs. The size suits most AFV builds.

Hope that assists
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 09:04 AM UTC
Can you provide more data about the laser cut wood?

P.A.
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 01:11 AM UTC
Alexander

The fence is manufactured by a company called Model-Scene. Tracks and Troops carry the range. Quite inexpensive and look really the part once assembled and weathered. I used some thin beading wire as bent nails for a bit more detail.
Braille
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 02:54 AM UTC
Michael,

Thanks for the reply it is much appreciated. I'll have to check out my local crafts shop (Michael's) here in America. Drinking coasters, something I can also set my beer on as I do my models ha!

-Eddy
Firefly74
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 224 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 09:49 PM UTC
Thanks for the info Michael, their just what i've been looking for.Will pick some up next time i'm near a Bunnings.
Cheers,
Tim
 _GOTOTOP