_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Small Scale
Dioramas of subjects smallers than 1/32 scale.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Caterpillar D7 late 40's clearing snow - 1/76
matt7871
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 49 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 01:41 AM UTC
Hi all

I am thinking of making a diorama using Milicast's Caterpillar D7 Armored Bulldozer clearing snow in england in the late 40's.

My thinking is that after the war these machines would of been sold off with the armor still in place to local Councils, farmers etc for construction work, farming and snow clearing?

I know that for the two former the armored screens would of been removed, but is it possible that for the later they would of kept the screens in place as protection from the weather?

I know that this idea is possibly being told in the wrong place as really its not about military equipment but I thought you would all like the idea

Thanks

Matt
jashby
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 02:03 AM UTC
Don't know about the snow bit cause we don't get to much down this way but I for one like the idea.
I know for a fact a lot of Matildas and Universal carriers went to work on the farm in Australia. Most of the Matildas lost their turrets and had dodgy frames put in place so they could be used for tree clearing. Hence we can get hold of a lot of hulls but turrets are rare.
Either way the way I look at it is it once was Military but has taken on a civie job not unlike a lot of Scammels and other wreckers post war. I'd be keen to see it. Don't know where you'll get 1/76 cattle and sheep from for a winter farm scene.

Cheers, John
matt7871
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 49 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 02:38 AM UTC
Hi john

Im glad you like the idea

I knew that a Sherman was converted to a tractor after the war by a Agricultral Engineering firm in England called R.W Crawford but I never knew about the matildas and universial carriers being used on farms after the war. Im not 100% if im going to put any animals on the dio of yet, might be a nice touch though

I'll be sure to post some pictures of the dio once its finished

Many thanks
 _GOTOTOP