Posted: Friday, September 05, 2003 - 07:40 PM UTC
any idea on how to make one?

Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2003 - 10:03 PM UTC
I would try to make one with hairs of a brush if I where you.
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2003 - 10:27 PM UTC
I'd suggest Milliput. Roll it out thin, cut out a circle and form it into a bowl. The surface could have texture added by working the putty with a pin or gluing on static grass.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 12:27 AM UTC
Assuming a bird's nest is say, about 6 inches in diameter, that thing is going to be tiny in 1/35 scale, like a little over an eight of an inch in diameter... I think maybe taking an eight inch drill bit and forming the putty over the blunt end (using the drill bit as a form) and then removing the putty, may work out.

HTH

Shaun
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 01:32 AM UTC
Make a clay/putty base as the guys above have suggested and try to use Static grass of various colors.
If you're going big nest - ie an Eagle's ( ) you might want to try the stems of 'baby's breath' thats the little white flowers (2mm ) that come with roses when you order a dozen.
Or you could try using the stems of the stuff you used for the tree you tried out on your rock climbing diorama.
A little white glue and some bending.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 03:40 AM UTC
I think that the easiest, painful and realistic way to do it is to take a piece of iron wool shape it and paint it. It should take no more than a few seconds...
Ciao
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 03:52 AM UTC
Fabio, I am truly humbled. Took me all of 2 minutes to make a pretty cool little bird's nest using your idea. Heck, I am going to have to find some tree on a diorame for it now. Great idea...

Shaun

scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 06:32 AM UTC
There's no reason to feel "humbled" at all Shaun. In over 30 years of modelling I tried to find the easiest/cheapest way to do as much as I can on my own. I just prefer to invest my money/time in buying/building models and I'm more than glad to share what I know with the others...
Ciao
Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 483 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 09:14 AM UTC
the first thing that came to mind was steel/iron wool before i read fabio's suggestion. you got to it first.
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 443 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 05:54 PM UTC
The wire wool sems to give an excellent result. Now you need to fill it, how about some cheeky private robbing eggs from it or maybe have a magpies nest full of shiny things, maybe a few iron crosses. Be sure to do some homework or you will have some spotter saying it is the incorrect nest!
" I am afraid that looks like the nest of an African Coconut carrying Swallow as oppose to its European relative, Thus rendering your dio inaccurate "
Cheers
Robbo
Machu
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 02:21 PM UTC
Excellent nest there. Looks tedious...This may sound gross, but if the nest is going to be occupied I suggest you put a few dabs of white paint inside the nest. It's nasty but still...it's more accurate
 _GOTOTOP