_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Something just a little bit different, UAZ-45
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 03:50 PM UTC
Something just a little bit different, UAZ-452D

Well I decided to build up something a little bit different than the normal tank or support vehicle. I have seen this little kit on the web with one of my favorite dealers for a while now. After seeing some great pictures of Russian troops training out in local farm fields while passing by some civilian trucks, I just had to grab this strange looking truck. There is not too many modern civilian vehicles out on the market at the moment, but I hope this will change soon.

Miniman Factory kit is just a absolute gem and cast in nice cream color resin. There are just a few flaws in the casting in the form of RTV from the mold being cast into the resin. Easy fix though, just remove the RTV and fill the holes in. My one and only gripe about the kit is, there is 25-35% of the kit’s parts not called out in the directions. The photo etch parts have no numbers on them nor is there a parts layout in the directions to help locating the parts. The good thing is, this is such a small truck that locating the parts is very easy and with the aid of photo reference it makes all the more easier.

The kit comes in a small sturdy box with the parts being in three different baggies. The frame comes wrapped in bubble wrap to protect it from breaking. As you can see from the photos, there is a lot of parts for such a small truck, but most of it are multiple parts for the wheels and suspension. The photo etch parts are nice and crisp with alternative parts for the dash. The clears parts for the head lights and tail lights are cast in clear resin. The windows for the cab come in clear accent that needs to trimmed in order to fit the frames. The directions come on a small folded piece of paper with just four steps. The diagrams are very well done and quite easy to follow along minus the missing parts not called out.

Hopefully this should be a straight forward and easy build to do. With all the different possible color combinations, this should add some bright colors to a some what drab tank rolling by.

Here are just a few possibilities I’m looking at.

jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 04:24 PM UTC
Looks like you scored a pretty cool little truck. Like you, I love subjects like this, and I wish there were more of them. Not every vehicle needs to have a big honking cannon on it.
So, what are you planning to put in the back, some kind of cargo, or passengers?
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 03:39 PM UTC
Here is the progress of the build so far. This is a great little kit that sure has been fun so far. More time is spent sanding and test fitting the parts before they are glued down. Once all the testing is done, the assembly seems to fly, this is just a half a days work. No real fitting issues other than a nasty gap between the sub floor and the side of the cab, but this should be an easy fix. The only thing I have changed up is to leave out the kit seats and replace them with new ones from my LMTV kit I felt these seats had more of a robust civilian feel to them over the flimsy seats supplied in the kit. I still have not figured out the paint scheme yet, but since this will be a farm truck it will more likely will have a weather beaten finish. The cargo will probably be some junk, tools, and fresh picked veggies.

SHarjacek
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 06:36 PM UTC
Looking fantastic,nice job!
Just one question what period is this Uaz from? (40,50,60 etc.)
Cheers,Sven
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 07:06 PM UTC
Thanks Sven, I plan to make this 2000 time frame as I plan to have a BMP-3 rolling by it. I know these little trucks are still floating around in russia and else where. I remember seeing a few of these in the former east german back in 2005 when I visited the fulda gap.
EdCraft
Visit this Community
Sverdlovsk, Russia
KitMaker: 187 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 07:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just one question what period is this Uaz from? (40,50,60 etc.)
Cheers, Sven

First UAZ-452D trucks were produced from 1966 until 1982. Later this model was some modified (with various - really many - versions). Today these trucks are still in production under designation UAZ-3303.

For example, one from modern UAZ versions - UAZ-39094:
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 07:47 PM UTC
Nice work Christopher

Maybe this can help you

http://www.brdm2.estranky.cz/fotoalbum/lehky-terenni-auta/uaz-452-d---pick-up/

http://www.brdm2.estranky.cz/fotoalbum/lehky-terenni-auta/

http://www.fotovalkirumodelism.com/page.php?page=721

Regards
EdCraft
Visit this Community
Sverdlovsk, Russia
KitMaker: 187 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 11:08 PM UTC
The last link shows modern UAZ-3962 version (with hard body, which uses as ambulance and general purpose van) on modern pattern wheels:

Earlier this type of UAZ was produced under designation UAZ-452A.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 12:22 AM UTC
I've been looking at one of these for a diorama set in Iraq or Somalia. This seems to be a nice little kit. Is it resin and styrene or just resin?
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 03:36 AM UTC
Thanks guys for the comments and the links, it will come in handy onc I begin to paint this truck.

Matt it happens to be all resin with just plastic for the window. I'm still waiting for Bilek to bring theirs out since they have two version of the hippy vans listed. From what I have seen of it, it's going to be a nice kit in plastic which means I can buy more than just one.
 _GOTOTOP