LRDG fitters'/mechanics'truck
geogeezer
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 06:42 PM UTC
Hi all,
Does anyone out there know what went into the LRDG fitters' /mechanics' trucks?. All I've been able to find out is "extra tools."
I've seen two photos of a Chevy fitters' truck which survived the Barce raid. It was loaded with weapons salvaged from disabled trucks. A view of the left rear quarter shows a radiator hanging on the outside of the bed, possibly under repair, or perhaps they just needed the space inside for other things. There is something which could be a heavy duty jack mounted horizontally across the tailgate but only partly visible..
A view of the same truck from the right front quarter shows what looks like a brand new tire and tube - clean, no wear, stuck between the front bumper and grille.
I would imagine they carried a lot of spare parts aboard. A fitters' truck will be my next project and I'd appreciate some input.
Cheers,
Dick
"Quem não tem cão, caça com gato". - If you don't have a dog, you hunt with a cat."
Fireflymodels
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 10:37 PM UTC
Hi

You're pretty much there with your summary.

The fitters trucks would have been full of spare parts as the desert was hard on the vehicles - especially suspension and radiators.

So, you would have all the major and minor parts associated (often taken from scrapped vehicles) including engine parts, radiators, axles, wheels and tyres plus all of the tools and equipment to patch vehicles up quickly in the middle of enemy territory.

I hope that helps

Darren
reccymech
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 11:52 AM UTC
I'd have to go along with Fireflymodels. Myself, being an ex army Recovery Mechanic have seen fitters utes full of whatever spares would be seem appropriate, or what has been scrounged (to the point of overloaded and then some).

There may of been an minimum equipment list, but, knowing how (British, Australian) fitters work see the above paragraph. For all I know there may of been a good chance a spare 'diff' was in the back of the fitter's truck.
geogeezer
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 03:27 PM UTC
Thanks Darren & Mark.

I've probably got enough odd parts lying around to completely fill up the truck and bury it out of sight by now. Observer to pilot: "I don't remember seeing a scrap yard out here in the Libyan desert before!"

Dick
geogeezer
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 07:33 AM UTC
Hi all,
Some pix of progress thus far.

Cheers
Dick

Quem não tem cão, caça com gato.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 02:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,
Some pix of progress thus far.

Cheers
Dick

Quem não tem cão, caça com gato.

:) you never put the pics in the post, nice work

geogeezer
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 09:34 AM UTC
Sorry about the confusion re the pictures, Pat. I'm new to this game and lucky to find my butt with both hands and a flashlight.

thanks,

Dick
 _GOTOTOP