_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Using Copper Wire
Thivi11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 11:06 AM UTC
I'd like to use some copper wire (among other wires/materials) to reproduce electrical/fuel lines, etc.

When this is done, is there a small hole drilled into the plastic part it is connecting to to be more "believable" or is the wire simply glued in the appropriate place on top of the plastic park.

So... attached TO, or INTO.
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 786 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 11:45 AM UTC
i find i get a better glue connection if there is a hole for the wire to go into. some wiring/fuel lines may just be too small to really notice either way.

the Tilly i built has headlight wiring that is a really noticeable feature of the vehicle and the wire goes into a hole that is larger than the diameter of the wiring lead:

i guess it comes down to how much you will see and how you prefer to build. cheers, bd.
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 662 posts
Armorama: 457 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 01:03 PM UTC
trying to glue ON, will be a little bit of a hassle. needs a little bit of a recess at least to help hold the wire into place.with a hole, as bruce suggested, a hole is a more stable way to hold it. with just gluing on, one little tap, pull, shift, of the wire, and it may come unglued. me personally, i dont go all the way through the plastic when i drill. i just do enough for it to have a place to seat into
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 01:28 PM UTC
I absolutely agree with Jesse and Bruce
Drilling holes to fix the wires is indispensable. Without holes you could dirty the model with CA glue and the wire still would seems "lying down" on the engine...
 _GOTOTOP