_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Help with U.S. invasion T-62
BorisS1990
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 05:49 AM UTC
Hi everyone, i guess an introduction would be in order first. My name's Boris, I have been building models off and on for about 7 years now, mostly armor, but also a plane here and there. Recently i became interested in R/C tanks. I just like running tanks as much as I do building them. However I really don't have the space to run the bigger 1/16th scale models, and I just didn't like the limited selection in that scale. After seeing some 1/35 scale armor converted to R/C on youtube, I decided that's just what I'm looking for.

So my first project will be a T-62. However I wanted to make it a bit more interesting and do a sort of "What-If" T-62. What if, in 1989, the Soviet government decided to launch an invasion of the U.S. and Western Europe in order to keep a hold on their power. Kind of like World in Conflict

What I need help with is deciding which model of T-62 would have been the most likely to be used in such an invasion. I was thinking a T-62M or M1. Were those still in use during 1989? I will be using the Trumpeter kit as a base, with Friul Model tracks. I will also do some "field modifications" to the tank to make it a little more clear that it is invading the U.S. and not just a generic Soviet T-62. Probably add a bustle rack to the back of the turret where I can put some Coca-Cola and Budweiser cases to make it more "American" looking. What do you guys think? Maybe add a plow on the front cuz I like tanks with plows.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 06:36 AM UTC
I think a T-80 would be a more practical application for a Soviet invasion of the U.S. I would suggest getting water bottles or vodka bottles instead of Coke and Budweisher.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 05:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi everyone, i guess an introduction would be in order first. My name's Boris, I have been building models off and on for about 7 years now, mostly armor, but also a plane here and there. Recently i became interested in R/C tanks. I just like running tanks as much as I do building them. However I really don't have the space to run the bigger 1/16th scale models, and I just didn't like the limited selection in that scale. After seeing some 1/35 scale armor converted to R/C on youtube, I decided that's just what I'm looking for.

So my first project will be a T-62. However I wanted to make it a bit more interesting and do a sort of "What-If" T-62. What if, in 1989, the Soviet government decided to launch an invasion of the U.S. and Western Europe in order to keep a hold on their power. Kind of like World in Conflict

What I need help with is deciding which model of T-62 would have been the most likely to be used in such an invasion. I was thinking a T-62M or M1. Were those still in use during 1989? I will be using the Trumpeter kit as a base, with Friul Model tracks. I will also do some "field modifications" to the tank to make it a little more clear that it is invading the U.S. and not just a generic Soviet T-62. Probably add a bustle rack to the back of the turret where I can put some Coca-Cola and Budweiser cases to make it more "American" looking. What do you guys think? Maybe add a plow on the front cuz I like tanks with plows.

The T-62 went out of production in 1973, though it remained in service in Soviet military districts where conventional war was less likely--that's why they predominate in the Aghan War in the 1980's--they were plentiful in the central Asian Soviet Republics. Most had received applique armor on the turret frontal arcs by that time, and some had slat armor as protection against RPG fire (presumably, Trumpeter will eventually offer that variant, if the series sells well).
A T-72, T-64 or T-80 would be likelier to appear in a NATO-Warsaw Pact scenario. A Soviet land war in Europe was always a possibility--in worst case scenarios, it was feared that a Russian army could reach the Rhine in two days.
However, a Soviet invasion of North America was never a serious possibility, dumb John Milius movies notwithstanding. They just didn't have the logistics to move such an army, even assuming both nations hadn't been devastated by a full nuclear exchange first. However, if you just want to build a Russian tank in Kansas as a goof, have fun!
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 01:33 PM UTC
I remember an old 1980 Shoe comic where the Professor is watching the television and a news station ad shows a commercial for sleep aid tablets and then the words, "Russian tanks are heading down the New Jersey Turnpike. Details at eleven." That would be a great model idea. (I'd probably recommend the T-72A for this.)
BorisS1990
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 02:41 PM UTC
Actually this tank would be somewhere around the NYC area. But you'r right Gerald, my main point is to just get an excuse to put some Soviet armor in the U.S.
Honestly I would have preferred a T-80U with ERA or maybe a T-72B with ERA, however noone makes any decent kits of these tanks and I don't intend on buying the ones out there already just to throw practically the entire kit in the trash and replace everything with aftermarket. It would be more trouble than it's worth trying to R/C one of those models. Guess I'll just have to wait until the manufacturers stop milking the Tiger and Panzer cow and start giving modern Soviet armor more love.

I figured the T-62M1 is still plausible enough for the situation and is the only kit out now that won't be a nightmare to work with.
TheGreatPumpkin
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 690 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 04:33 PM UTC
Boris,
Back in the 1980's there was an RPG game called "Twilight: 2000" (I think there have been a couple of build campaigns using the game as a springboard here over the years). Anyway, there was one campaign that took place in Texas, where a Soviet MRD attacked out of Cuba and was landed in southern Texas. If you can dig that module up, it might provide some inspiration? Anyway, it'll be a cool build. Enjoy!
Regards,
Georg
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
Armorama: 399 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 04:47 PM UTC
Hey Boris, you need to find a teenage Charlie sheen to add to this. "WOLVERINES"!
Keep us updated on this, love to see it come together.
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 05:21 PM UTC
Boris, welcome to Armorama. That's a great idea you have. Somehow, you have to make it clear that the scene takes place in an occupied America. Maybe you could find or make a big sign with the name of some US city on it, like they have over freeways, or something else that is unmistakably American.
In "Red Dawn", as I recall, the Soviets and Cubans came up into the US Southwest through Mexico.
Look on eBay, and you'll find some early DML and Trumpeter Soviet and Chinese armor kits that are crude, but inexpensive: BMPs, T-54s, etc., which you could throw in as vehicles destroyed in the fighting. Even if the Soviets no longer used them by that time they could have passed them on to their allies. You might even add an old wrecked Humvee or Volkswagen to your diorama. Assemble some of your gutted vehicles into a roadblock or fortification for urban fighting, if you like.
A plow would be very useful, for pushing wrecked vehicles out of the road.
Use your imagination, and have fun.
BorisS1990
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 12:51 AM UTC
While it's going to be an R/C tank, I'm really wanting to just build a little diorama to put the tank into when I'm not running it. Perhaps showing the tank parked infront of some brownstones on the Upper-West Side of Manhattan. While Soviet soldiers go kicking in doors.
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 04:51 AM UTC
You could do something like this, in reality a museum piece with my credit union in the background

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx338/jowady1/_DSC0190pb.jpg

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 04:59 AM UTC
Red Dawn - what I remember is that Russian's and Cubans (as VDV) air deployed out of airliners to take the Rockies and hook up with army elements that ran up from Nicaragua. Another Russian army group attacked through Alaska but was repelled in Washington State? It has been a while since I have watched my wonderful red-paranoia wet dream movie!

For real world, the Soviets had three catagories of Army units A,B, and C. Things changed over time, but for your timeframe it would be roughly this:
A = T-80, T-64, BMP-2, BTR-80
B = T-72, T-62, BMP-1, BTR-70
C = T-55, BTR-60, BTR-50

The idea in EUROPE most likely would have been a initial push with a mix of 70% B units and 30% A units to absorb initial losses and use up ammo available in Europe to NATO. Once a breakout was initiated, Cat A units in reserve would exploit and engage reserve units of NATO resulting in (so they planned) success and brunch in Paris.

Invading America would have been different (and honestly, not realistic...just as invasion and occupation of Russia was not realistic). Cat B equipment would have been shipped to places like Nicaragua to run up through Mexico, assuming Mexico did not turn against us. Cuba could have been a spring board for Cat A units into Florida and the Southern US. Most likely Cat A units would have invaded the NE US through Canada. And a Alaska attack using Cat B units was planned, as the Bering strait is ideal for the large landing craft and WIG planes the Soviets had in use.

Use of Cat B equipment would have been suitable for hilly terrain, thicker wooded areas, and urban environs. Cat A equipment would have been for long range fights (think prairies) and places where high speed movement would be possible and needed. So a T-62 in NJ probably would fit in this very hypothetical "what-if".
 _GOTOTOP