Softskins group discussions.
Hosted by Darren Baker
28 foot S&P Trailer
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 06:06 AM UTC
1/35 scale model of a 28 foot S&P flat bed trailer. I used Evergreen Plastic stock to build this one. The wheel and rear leaf springs along with a section of the chassis is from the M-925 series truck kit from Italeri. I am building a M series five ton tractor to "haul" this trailer. http://groups.msn.com/armorama/sptrailer.msnw?albumlist=2
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 06:38 AM UTC
It looks very good as usual Animal, the only one thing I can say is that in the "rear trailer" pic rather than using plasticard for that "U" shaped part I'd rather use copper/brass/aluminium that keeps better shape and angles...
Ciao
beachbm2
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 400 posts
Armorama: 151 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 06:55 AM UTC
I must say I think you did a great Job! It is a real good looking trailer! Looks like the ones that used to be at the Camp Casey TTP. I do however agree that the U shaped bumper extension should be metal to hold it's shape better. But Great Work!
Jeff aka beachbm2
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 08:02 AM UTC
I totally agree with you Fabiio. I din't have any brass pieces but I will correct it. Iam working on the jack legs right now. When I finish them I will correct the back step. Thanks for pointing tha out to me.

Thanks for the kind words Jeff. I have taken the correction from Fabio and you. I will be posting more photos of the progress as I go along.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 09:32 AM UTC
Animal as I have sald before I am in awe of your scratch building talents. A real nice job buddy is all I can say.
darkstar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 04:16 PM UTC
hey buddy
i see your at it again...nice work..the dolly legs are retractable via a gear box and crank...use small tubing..and plave a small flat piece for the foot with two angled sides that you put a piece of rod thru ..each leg..that lets the foot swing...the gear box is oblong..the wider end attaches to the top of leg and a bar runs from it clean across th the other leg..if you need photos let me know..i'll grab some tommarrow for ya...Ray
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 06:07 PM UTC
You always make it look so easy. Are you going to scratch the 5 ton or get the resin kit? Hey, my 10 ton Tank Workshop tractor is going together nicely. Got it almost complete. have a few parts to add then do overall paint job and add the subassemblies and wheels
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 04:07 AM UTC
Ray: I haven't done the jack legs yet. The jig you see under the front of the trailer is something I use to keep the trailers level while I build them. If you can send me the pics it would be great. The photos that I have are not very clear(Blurry) but it was the only ones I could find.
Blaster: I will be building my own tractor. I will be using the modified M-35 cab again for this one. I have never bought a resin kit before. I think they are a little pricey. I have heard with the exception of the Tank Workshop version that they are not that well casted. By the way when can we expect to see some photos of the Big truck? Looking forward to seeing it.

I am looking into casting the tanker and S&P trailers in the near future. Not sure how they will turn out yet. I am looking for some kind of pressure tank to use in the resin process.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 04:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

....... I will be building my own tractor. I will be using the modified M-35 cab again for this one. I have never bought a resin kit before. I think they are a little pricey. I have heard with the exception of the Tank Workshop version that they are not that well casted. By the way when can we expect to see some photos of the Big truck? Looking forward to seeing it.

I am looking into casting the tanker and S&P trailers in the near future. Not sure how they will turn out yet. I am looking for some kind of pressure tank to use in the resin process.

Howdy animal,

Your trailer is looking great!! You're obviously adept at scratchbuilding. I have recently gotten into wheeled vehicles in a big way (see my Super H.E.T. thread) so I enjoy seeing your excellent work.
You should maybe think about your creation in terms of a kit offering? Just a thought.
animal, you also mention the M35 cab conversion over to the M54. I recently ordered the Real Models resin M54 cab conversion and the resin wheels so I can get back on track with a Guntruck build-up I had started awhile back. Do you not like the Real Models offering?
Also, before I forget. When you figure out the pressure tank technique, please share your findings. I am going to try my hand at casting some pieces (for different reasons) and want to do it right (need about a hundred .50 caliber ammo boxes and don't want to pay so much for them).

Thx,

Tread.
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:00 AM UTC
The real model version is fine. I just prefer to make my own. I can buy the AFV Club kits a lot cheaper then the real models conversion kit. I resin cast all the extras that I need to complete the Gun Trucks and othe soft skins that I build. I don't think my castings of the M-54 cabs are good enough to offer as a kit at this time. Mabe in the future. :-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 04:11 PM UTC
Oh My god, this is like THE most ambitious/well executed Scratch I had seen for quite some times.

Great work as usual. Animal.
Mech
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2003 - 01:00 AM UTC
Animal I am always impressed with any one that can scratch build. You always do Great work on the subjects that you choose.
Cheers Ralph
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2003 - 12:01 PM UTC
Thanks Dave. Now if I could only paint as great as you do I might be a half way good modeler.

Thank you Ralph, I appreceiate the kind words. Your work is not too shabby either. The subjects you choose to build are great and I enjoy looking at your postings.
 _GOTOTOP