_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-64BV WIP
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 04:44 AM UTC
Hello everybody, my name is Arpad and I am a modeler from Prague. This is the first build I post here. Feel free to scrutinize every detail.

I am trying to reproduce the t-64BV. This tank was fielded by the Soviet army in large numbers and saw limited action during the first Chechnyan war, I think. One unit was captured by rebels/freedom fighters, but it was soon destroyed. You can see a few pics of the wreck here. http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/97475&page=1

This will be a complex build. I will use a Miniarm T-64b turret, ERA blocks. The tracks will be from Masterclub and I am going to modify a Skif hull. If my scratching attempt fails I will get an SP designs replacement upper hull.

First, I would like to start with reviewing the Miniarm T-64B with anti radiation layer turret set. The product is packed in the usual Miniarm soft green box. I consider this inadequate, because the parts barely fit in and the delicate details were damaged in every set I got from this manufacturer so far. The instructions are photocopied, quite usable. This is one of the simpler Miniarm turret sets, the build is straightforward provided you get the right parts.

The largest part of this conversion is the one piece resin turret. In my set the turret is the standard T-64B without the anti radiation layer. I am not impressed. This is an expensive AM kit, the manufacturer should be more careful about controlling what goes into the box. I will reproduce the anti neutron layer with green putty. The quality of the casting is excellent, no bubbles or deformities, just a little flash. The casting plugs are easy to remove. The smoke grenade launcher supports were damaged by the inadequate packaging. I compared the turret to reference photos and the details are accurate. The shape seems to be correct, no rebuilding is required.

The smaller resin parts are cast without deformities or larger air bubbles. I have already cleaned most of the parts I will be using for my particular build. The stowage baskets and other turret details match the reference photos quite well. The Luna IR searchlight is a copy of the corresponding Tamiya part. I suspect the NVST machinegun is made by Tank Models, its details are nice, the barrel is slightly bent and the muzzle needs to be drilled out. Miniarm provides us with some brass rod for cabling

Recently Miniarm discarded its own gun barrel and replaced it with RB models product. On the photo you can see the RB model, the Miniarm and the ModelPoint sleeveless barrel. The tree barrels I have have all different proportions. The RB models barrel has impressive detail, I do not know whether its length is correct. The only drawback I can think of is that it is difficult to glue the delicate etched brass parts to the aluminium barrel, even with superglue

I would recommend this conversion mainly to diehard soviet armor fans. Its is not cheap by itself and you need many additional AM sets to match the quality of the turret. I will review the Skif kit in another post.

In the next post, I will add the missing anti neutron layer.
bigmal
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 211 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 05:18 AM UTC
Hello Arpad
I have used this conversion and found it to be very good, although the resin made a lot of mess when removing the plugs.
I made a 1975 model T64B from mine which i bought cheap at a model show last year and would use these products again (if i can find them).
I am looking forward to see your build.

Malcolm
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,829 posts
Armorama: 881 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 07:03 AM UTC
looks greta, following the thread!
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 02:10 PM UTC
Arpad,
that photo of the knocked out T-64BV is from the town of Bendery in Moldova, summer of 1992, from the book "tanks in Chechnya" in the "tank battle" series of books. I don't think T-64 was deployed in Chechnya.

Sean
Mikkola
Visit this Community
Finland
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 04:46 AM UTC
Hi Arpad!
I have spent almost couple of years rebuildind T-64A hull and it is a pain in ass. I have two SP Designs T-64 upper hulls which I have found out quite usable and will highly recomending them as you are partially covering the hull with Kontakt 1 bricks.

My two cents....

Sampo M
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 12:57 AM UTC
PART 2

Hello guys, I would like to thank You first for the input and corrections.

Now, the turret is around 80% done. I made the antineutron layer with green putty from GameWorkshop, I textured it with that silver paper You find in cigarette packs and added the disks from the Voyager PE set. Luckily I still have enough disks forthe future project I purchased it for originally.

Now, the real pain started. I drilled the holes for the ERA supports and with a lot of dry fitting I have managed to align it, not completely correctly. It is a real pain, but it can be done. Now most of the ERA blocks are on the turret and it looks close enough to me. Bear in mind that every T-64 has a slightly different combination of type A and C blocks, I havent seen two identical vehicles so far.
I simpflified the massive frontal support brackets, the ideal material for the would be PE, I dont have the time and resources to make it. I used the thinnest stryrene strips from Plastruct, a high quality but expensive product.

I still need to scratch the smoke grenade launcher supports. I studied my references and found at least 4 different configurations of the supports. Nuts and bolts will be added too, and some more cabling, too.

Then comes the real pain. I purchased the Skif t-64B kit. This is a mixture of bad and even worse. First, their moulding technology is from the 60s. The details are there, but they are soft and oversized, so I sanded down everithing. I studied the photos of the SP designs upper hull. Now Hobbyeasy has them out of stock and I maxed my Paypal so scratchbuilding it is

In my next update I will post my results with the Skif hull.

Happy modelling, any criticism is welcome
Whiskey_1
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 01:39 AM UTC
Seriously nice work on that turret. I feel your pain as far as skiff kits go. Got a MT-LB sitting packed away somewhere for when I have enough experience and stamina to keep working on it. Best of luck with the 64: it s looking great so far.
redcap
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 01:43 AM UTC
Hi Arpad,

Some great workmanship and scratch building going on here. Excellent build mate - keep it coming!

Gary
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 03:54 AM UTC
You can buy direct from SP Designs from the Ukraine...no need to go as far as hobbyeasy.
bigmal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 211 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 04:31 AM UTC
Great work Arpad. that model will look superb when it is finished
rolf
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 03:53 AM UTC
Great job on this beast. The way you did the anti radiation cladding on th turret is fabulous. Great job.

Roy
 _GOTOTOP