_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
unofficial group build
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 12:33 PM UTC
Hey WC,

So what's the skinny on this 'un-official' build? i.e., start and end dates.

Ya'll have hit a chord on my hart strings! On top of the Soviet/Russian basis (hey, parents served in the 'Company' and Soviet sh*t was about the house while growing up), these BIG guns are a fav. I have the SU-122P and the ISU-152 (Mod 46) on the planning table. Just need to finish the several odd T-34's and such on the work-bench.

Dave
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 12:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hey all, myself and a couple other Armorama regulars are working on doing a unofficial group build. This group build is entitled "Russian Bigguns" and focuses on the wierd and wonderfully overgunned Soviet AFVs from the about 1943 to the 1960's. Pretty much anything goes, ISU-122, ISU-152, ISU-152 Model 1945 (the one based on the IS-3 chassis), the Oka and Kondensator nuclear guns (only someone really crazy would build one of those), Su-122P, and the T-34/100 among others (not the Egyptian or Syrian mods, but actually the WW2 Soviet experimental T-34/100). Vehicles not allowed are the Su-122, KV-II, or other Soviet vehicles that had large bore guns but with stubby barrels. Just as long as the gun is ridiculously large and long. There is no real start or end date at this point, no scale requirements, build it anyhow you want, just a have fun low stress build. So if anyone else wishes to join in, feel free too, the more the merrier.
Personally, I'm modifying a DML Su-100 into a Su-122P. The Su-122P was an experimental 122mm gun armed Su-85M. The only modifications necessary are replacing the square front fenders with round ones and replacing the gun with a 122mm piece. It never entered service, but just for kicks, I'm going to model it as such that it did see combat. Below is a pic of my so far very-limited progress on it.

NO KV II IS ALLOWED??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was that especially for my benefit?????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 01:48 PM UTC
You got that right Lord Davidus hehehehe #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-) (++) (++) (++)
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 02:01 PM UTC
jeez.............tand the only thing I'm liable to get my hands on are a KV-11...........maybe christmas
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 03:03 AM UTC
Would the JS-3 or -3M fit into this category? I ask since it is a true tank and not an SP gun.
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would the JS-3 or -3M fit into this category?

I believe so.

Cat discussed this "Russian Biggun's" build recently in chat and my perception was the vehicle had to be Russian, tracked, be big, bad, and have a major league gun tube. So that leaves a lot of room for vehicle selection, i.e. SP or tank.

This whole thing started with a recently completed IS-2 Stalin discussion, and kind of expanded to a build concentrating on the big Russian stuff from the mid 40's forward---so it should be fun.

ps: Trumpeter has a great IS-3M kit, reasonable price, and (except for the tracks), a good kit for the money.

Steve

_GOTOTOP