Hosted by Darren Baker
1/6th scale Dragon Jeep quick build
armourguy
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 02:14 PM UTC
Hi guys, I'm about 95% complete with the Dragon Jeep kit. I started working on this kit after I completed the schwimmwagen. Like the schwimmer I wanted a quick build and I built the model mostly out of the box. I did add to the model my Resin Pedestal mount and my Soft Skin MP-48 spring antenna base. I also replaced the very simplistic molded in tow hitch with one of my functional resin ones.

The kit itself is a very nice build with no real surprises. The one issue I had was I found a crack on the clear plastic wind shield. Rather than calling Dragon care I decided to cut out both window panes and I replaced them with clear lexan plastic.

Another Issue that I expected and encountered was the application of the hood star decal. The decals are very nice, but the star decal is too large to be easily applied. The decal crimples, rips, and snags too easily. So instead of using the decal I created a stencil and airbrushed the star onto the model. The decals were used for the rest of the markings and worked out just fine.

Resin Bolt heads were added to the rear bumpers.

I replaced the kit's tow hitch with one of my own functional resin versions. For the tow eyes I snipped off the kit supplied ones of the kit tow hitch and simply added them to mine. The tow hitch upgrade does improve the look of the model.

[/img]http://eastcoastarmory.com/forumPic/jeep/DSC00171.JPG[/img]

I wanted to arm my jeep. To do this I used one of my resin M31C pedestal pintle mounts. I scratch built the support legs out of two lengths of plastic angle. The angles are glued together and the trimmed to shape. I still have to finish up the DML M2 HB, and the Travel lock brace.

I also like the look of The MP 48 spring antenna base and I wanted to add this to my model. I have seen jeeps with the 50.cal mg mount and the antenna base mounted, but with no radio hooked up. Since I don't have the radio mounted I will not be adding the antenna to the antenna base. The antenna base mount was fabricated out of sheet metal.

All I have left to add to the model is the tools, DML 50.cal HB, Jerry can, and tie down straps. Once complete I can then jump into my next olive.
plane_mc
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 05:12 AM UTC
Very nice. I sure wish I could build that fast.
armourguy
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 06:46 AM UTC
Thanks ,

I finished the jeep the other day, but waited for the weather to clear so can take some nice out door shots, and some shots of the jeep towing the DML 75mm Pack howitzer

I was not able to find the tool toes down straps that the kit gives you. I was able to use the spare straps left over from the schwimmwagen for the tools, but I still need to tie down the jerry can and the canopy rails. I'll give Dragon care a call today to see if I can get some replacements.

Like on the schwimmwagen I replaced the plastic tool handles with real wood ones. I also added a small length of chain to the jerry can.

I was also able to complete the tank's DML M2 HB. The gun received the same improvements as my other DML M2s which can be seen on my M26 and M4 sherman posts. For the grips I went with the black Bakelite look for the main grips, and a reddish Bakelite look for the charging handle giving the gun more color.

For the pintle mount I completed and installed the travel lock bar.

With these two quick builds out of the way I can now roll up my sleeves and get into some more serious scratch building with my next olive….

which will be on this guy . More info to follow .

_GOTOTOP