_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Cambodian PT-76
MandrakePOE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 99 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 04:20 AM UTC
I recently purchased the Trumpeter 1/35 PT-76 Amphibious Tank Model 1951.

I know this early model with the long multi-slotted muzzle brake wasn't the most widely exported variant but I am keen do do something other than a green soviet example. Normally I do my research before purchasing but it was an impulse buy as it was in a half price sale!

My references indicate this model was exported only to Cuba (consequently used in Angola) and Laos. I can find no pictures to support Cuban/Angolan service and derelict Laos examples aren't particularly inspiring.

However I recentl came across this picture of three Cambodian PT-76s:

Larger version available here:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/HappyAsian/VietNam/CambodianArmyPT-76a.jpg

Is it my imagination or does the PT-76 in the foreground have the long multi-slotted muzzle brake? It definately looks different to the barrel of the PT-76 directly behind it which has the later double-baffle muzzle brake.

I understand that Cambodia received a total of 20 ex soviet service PT-76 in two batches each comprising of 10 examples in 1983 and 1989 respectively. All other photos I have found of Cambodian PT-76 seem to indicate the later double-baffle muzzle brake examples but pressumably if these were coming from ex soviet stocks is is not inconceivable that a one or more earlier examples were included. Additionally Cambodia operated a similiar number of Chinese Type 63 (Chinese PT-76 with dirrerent turret and barrel) but this is definately not one of them.

Furthermore can anyone confirm the blue paint scheme of these vehicles? Interestingly the turret hatch on the three vehicles acts seems to remain a more standard shade of green.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Onelson
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 05:00 AM UTC
Can't help you at the moment with the picture - but I did exactly the same as you Mandrake. I bought the earlier verion when it was cheap on E-bay and now can't quite bring myself to making a plain green Russian vehicle.
So far I'd settled on a green with white stripes example as per the box art (Prague 1968?) but have been looking for a more interesting scheme for a number of years. I think you found it

Need to score a cheap B version some day to do a Syrian vehicle too!
Cheers
Owen
MandrakePOE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 06:15 AM UTC
The caption for this photo (via getty images):
Vietnamese military personnel riding on tanks while on maneuvers in Cambodia. December 01 1989

My history of the region is not that great but in 1978 Veitnam invaded Cambodia occupying it until 1989/90. In early 1979 the People's Republic of Kampuchea was established, the national insignia on the turret would be in keeping with this with the five (as opposed to three) towers and the all red background.

Curiously the Veitnamese forces officially withdrew September 1989 but are believed to have stayed into 1990. The caption date, if accurate, seems to suggest the latter. Although in April 1989 the State of Cambodia was established with a new flag and military inignia (as before but with the lower half in blue not red). Of course the new insignias might not of been introduced or fully replaced the old one by this time.

Should also be considered that that caption and/or date is not accurate. These might not be vietnamese troops and instead cambodian troops as there is no mention of the clearly cambodian tank and/or the date might not be the date the photo was actually taken.

One interesting propsect/theory though is that the vietnamese military was heavily involved in training and co-ordinating of the new cambodian army as it had been with the new Laos army following military intervention years previously.....could we actually be looking at an ex Laos PT-76 here?

Just a theory.....discuss!

Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 07:15 AM UTC
Welcome to here.... hmm, the muzzle-brake of the boxart looks exactly as the same as in the real photo.
So I think, itīs the same type.

For the blue paint scheme, I can not help. But I think itīs an reflection of the sky!
Due to high (what can I say?) "air humidity" some parts can be very reflective.
I only saw some blue painted parts (as a camo) only on aircrafts and I think this is possibly a green vehicle.

greetings..
Soeren
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 08:28 AM UTC
I agree, I think these tanks are probably green. Empire City Decals has a sheet for the T-55, which has Cambodian roundels; you could use these on your PT-76, if you don't feel like printing your own.
MandrakePOE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 10:02 AM UTC
Thank for your thoughts guys.

I appreciate what you say about the colours being potentially misleading and normally I would agree but what puzzles me is why the turrect hatch appears so very distinctively differet in colour, despite other parts of the tank being at similar angles to the camera and light.

In regards to misleading blue hues(?), take a look at this Cambodian BTR60
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/56232283/Roger-Viollet

In regards to the decals, thanks for the tip, however those roundels are of the later type with the blue lower circle. I have found some 1/72 aircraft decals that are suitable though. The only problem is they have a yellow outline rather than a white outline, any suggestions on how to trim of the yellow of a decal of about 12mm?
 _GOTOTOP