Ruined buildings and city scenes.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Roof problems
Alessandro_Iug
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 04:55 AM UTC
Hi all!
I would like to ask an archectural question, as I have to build this particular house with the roof covering damaged.

How does this kind of roof stand on its own?

http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa134/Alessandro_Jug/?action=view¤t=5140397d.jpg

Thank you in advance
Cheers

Alessandro
casailor
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 05:23 AM UTC
It's hard to tell from the photo, but if that is slate tile, it would be laid over a layer of lath strips supported by conventional rafters.
jargonking
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 06:02 AM UTC
Here's a pic of a modern restoration of an old building using slate tiles.

I imagine the structure of the roof you showed would be similar...
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 06:02 AM UTC
correct. the rafters would come down to the top of the wall (header) and then be covered by either lath strips or rough hewn boards. The lath would be spaced evenly, approx 2' space. while the rough hewn boards would have irregular gaps as many times they were not squared off on the sides and ocassionaly will have some bark still attatched.
Alessandro_Iug
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 08:06 PM UTC
Hi all and thank you for the gentle answers.
My doubt is just how the triangular shape of the roof stands on, I have another picture of a similar damaged house

In this picture you can see the horizontal beam on top of the roof (ridge beam?) without any kind of support.....

I ask how can it stands on....

Cheers and again thank you
Alessandro
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 10:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In this picture you can see the horizontal beam on top of the roof (ridge beam?) without any kind of support.....

I ask how can it stands on....
o

You're showing a photo of a ruined house and the end of the beam is out of sight it is probably held up on the other end. To me it looks like there is a cross beam making an A frame supporting it. Who knows how long it stayed up after the photo was taken?

If you google wooden roofing structures images you'll probably find your answer
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 10:56 PM UTC
Hi

It can stand like this for example

This is part of the entrance building leading to the to the Outer Courtyard of Chateau Clervaux

In your picture there may be a beam laying on the wall in the middle over the two windows leading to the other site. The one holding the triangle part of the roof will then be put on this one. (Similar to mine, just the holding one will be from front to back , not from left to right )

Hope it helps

Claude
Sean50
Visit this Community
Manche, France
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 01:59 AM UTC
Hello there,

As per Claude's model, the uprights lean back to join the horizontal beam along the ridge.
This is a barn, not a house, so maybe a bit less refined, but the principle's the same.

Cheers,

Sean
Alessandro_Iug
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 05:59 PM UTC
ehm.... something like that?
It's the diorama I'm working on, I would be pleased to read your comments.

Cheers
Alessandro

roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 08:35 PM UTC
Let me start by saying that i relooked at mine at there may be some architectural problems with it, but as i did not show this roof open, the goal was to provide the shape of the roof, no matter how it's achieved. So don't take that one to seriously.

The main issue in your roof is that the gable is still open from below. The reason is that your supporting beam lies not on the wall, nearer to the front.Is the supporting beam able to carry the weight of the upright one?
I would say it's good enough here if the beam is screwed and fix thightly.
Anyway, your are to far to fix anything.

Some things are difficult to see in your picture, so i may have to correct what i say.
I would have done a third beam in the middle (same method and direction as the one left and right) ( well, i wrote already a book with such things, but have still a lot of problems finding the right english words).

Every upright beam would have a wonderful support then on that one.

Claude

QUAX_MAXIMUS
Visit this Community
El Salvador
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 05:46 PM UTC
you are doin' fine, maybe some structural elements like the beam inside the building should be lyin' on the wall, and the outside beam should be resting over the two main beams, but you have already get to the shape you were lookin for, the roof tiles will make the rest and this small issues wont be issues any more.
i only can say so far, so good, keep on goin', good job.
 _GOTOTOP