_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
kind of slow lately
youpey
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 04:57 AM UTC
not sure why but sometimes the site seems to go down. if i click on a link for a forum folder or post it can take up to 3 to 4 minutes before it loads. is anyone else seeing this or is it just me
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 05:49 AM UTC
I have had pages take 5 to 10 seconds if the site is busy, but it is not a common issue.
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 609 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 06:45 AM UTC
Mike - Yeah, I get this a lot ... either pages will take a long time to load (e.g. 5-10 seconds) or the site will just hang. I'm not sure how long that lasts because I usually click away and come back later. I don't think it's my connection because I don't get this with other sites I visit.
brynje
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 176 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 09:48 AM UTC
armorama is reaaally slow for me too. Guess it's because of all the ads or something.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 03:33 PM UTC
Sometimes the ads make loading a bit slow for me. It's not consistent, but it does happen at least a couple of times a week.
hedorah59
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 07:36 AM UTC
It has been slow for me the last couple of days, it takes quite awhile to load a page, especially if there are a lot of pictures.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 10:35 AM UTC
I too have been finding it "hangs" occasionally. I tend to surf away and come back a few minutes later and then it's fine. (If I dive away and back immediately it may or may not hang again...) Otherwise, the pages usually load up fast enough, so it's an inconsistant thing.

Tom
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 11:09 AM UTC
Just posted this on another similar thread, but in addition to the info below I will also be looking at:

1. Switching to a faster dedicated server for our ads. Our current server is only a Celeron 2.1x Ghz machine and we can upgrade to a Pentium 3.0Ghz for about the same money.

2. Look at ways to delay load some of our ads so they won't interfere with the page load of the site. Google is suppose to do this I think but it still seems like they affect page loading at times. The frustrating bit is that when the site is hanging like that if you right click and look at the source, the whole HTML page is THERE. Ugg..

Quoted Text

The load on the site is always highest on Mondays. Back to work blues?

I did restart several services today and got the load back down to normal (which is still way high compared to other servers I manage).

Server speed and performance issues are currently my main priorities for the next year. We will be looking at database replication, caching, and improving the code to be more efficient in that time. Also one of my main goals is to ditch our old gallery in favor of our own image storage areas in your profile area. That should free us up quite a lot as well.

Jim

barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 12:16 PM UTC
Hey Jim,

I think the whole Interweb has the same loading issues, so no biggie. But can I ask about that other post? It suggests you'll be changing away from the existing galleries - when you do will you copy over all the existing albums & pics so we don't lose anything?

Regards,

Tom
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 12:23 PM UTC

Hi Tom,

There will definitely be a window for users to save/rescue any image in their existing gallery to have it show up in their new one. However old HARD links to images will continue to work from the old gallery (as much of our past article photos are currently in there too). So from the standpoint of old blogs, etc. those photos will keep showing up long past the time the old gallery is dead. It's the gallery scripts/code we want to stop running. 

Thanks,

Jim

barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 12:35 PM UTC
Ah, that's ok then - I was mostly worried about whole campaigns developing "Red X Syndrome"! Sounds like that's not a problem.

Regards,

Tom
hedorah59
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 03:31 PM UTC
Thanks for the update, Jim!
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 05:20 PM UTC
Sounds like good stuff Jim, and thanks for being willing to address these kind of issues
 _GOTOTOP