_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Challenger II
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 12:29 AM UTC
Well, my aftermarket tracks from Bronco arrived. Wow! I spent the better part of 3 hours last night assembling one side and it still isn't complete. I will get pics taken and posted shortly. There are some errors on the instructions as well, but it is a simple fix. More info to follow shortly. Back soon. "Q"
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 05:04 AM UTC
As promised, here are the pics of the Bronco tracks. The process of assembling them was to place a piece of blue painters tape down, sticky side up. Then, place the bottom of the track to where it just made contact with the tape. It would help to lighten the tackiness of the tape first too as getting them free from the tape proved to be a problem. Once the lower piece is laid down, then lay the track connecting rods on top of these. Finally, add a small drop of glue/cement into the divots in the lower track block and then place the upper track piece with the center guide on it in place. Viola' one track block. These things are delicate and just bumping the table sent pieces scattering ....so no sneezing! The box calls for 78 tracks per side, but if you do that you end up with something akin to a Pz-III or Pz-IV suspension. Ideally they should be 75 maybe 76 tracks. I need to fix mine. Once I do, I'll post that info...
More to follow soon.. "Q"

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 05:50 AM UTC
Looking like an excellent build. One question, did the spacing tool come with the pe?
Mario_HR
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 303 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 06:36 AM UTC
Looks good. Are you going to use the workable part of the tracks to some base or were you just replacing the kit ones? Are there any detail differences between the kit ones and these?
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 07:35 AM UTC
The alignment tool came with the conversion set.
The tracks are better detailed, in my opinion, than the kit tracks hence the swap. Just very time consuming to assemble. The total number of tracks needed per side is 76. I just fixed mine and installed them to test and they fit perfectly. Thanks for the kudos guys, much appreciated. More to follow soon. "Q"

ps. something else I recently discovered in regards to soldering, was that as well as the poster tac, a small piece of wet tissue draped across already soldered joints will also work as a heat sink. Haven't tried it yet, but saw a tutorial where the guy did that. I will give that a try as well and report back....
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 09:10 AM UTC
It's update time. I got both sets of tracks assembled..yay. This was one of the most patience testing exercises I've done in awhile, but I persevered and I'm glad I did. I would not hesitate to use these tracks again. I added the IR door opening arm, and the dust cover just behind the gun. Mine was lost so I had to replace it with strip styrene and some two part putty. I made bolt heads using my Greif bolt making die. These are really cool, albeit expensive tools for what they are. They are basically a piece of steel with bolt heads of various sizes stamped into them. A piece of sprue is heated up and then smashed into the bolt head mold. A few seconds of cooling and the bolt head can be cut free. Makes for a great way to use your excess sprue pieces. More to follow soon. Thanks, "Q"

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 09:23 AM UTC
Nice to see an update on your Chally II Q
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2011 - 09:52 AM UTC
Thanks Jeremy. It'll be slow going for a little while here as I have some commission builds I really need to get wrapped up, but I will post as I make progress. Thanks, "Q"
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 03:36 AM UTC
Matthew,
I know this an old thread, but wondering if you ever finished your Challenger. If so, do you have any pictures of the finished tank? WOuld love to see it completed!
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 01:11 AM UTC
Alas the Chally has stalled. I got sidetracked by something else it got shelved. Add to this...we moved into a new house recently this week and all my stuff is boxed up. The house is considerably smaller than our old digs and I will be selling of a large portion of my kits to accommodate the downsizing. After going back through my thread I really want to get back to this one. Sorry it has been over a year since I did anything with it, but thanks for rekindling the fire I had for it. Will definitely post updates when I get back to it. "Q"
ColdSteel
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 02:38 AM UTC
Ya my man looks like a sweet build and Ya relite that fire like to see you get it painted keep it up
4egevara
Visit this Community
Vladimir, Russia
KitMaker: 209 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 02:50 AM UTC
Work on the model is impressive!
Caltrigger
Visit this Community
South Africa
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts