_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Before or after painting?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 09:21 AM UTC
Hey all you armor builders! Just wondering if any of you's attach the tools to the tank before or after you paint? Certainly not after weathering, but can't seem to understand the reason for putting them on first.
I attach them after for the simple reason it's easier to paint them in hand than on the model. Is there a reason for putting them on first????
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 09:29 AM UTC
I like to leave mine off to paint and detail until after the model has been painted and before weathering. I know some like to put them on first and paint them on first but that just seems more difficult to get a good detail paint job on the tools. I recently read an article, somewhere, about a guy who uses white glue to glue the parts in place, paints the model and then removes the rools for finishing and then superglues them back on. I guess it's whatever works out best for you and your personal preference.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 10:19 AM UTC
I do both, depends on the tools, where they are mounted, etc. If I can leave them off unitl they are painted, I will.
ChrisCarney
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 10:22 AM UTC
I like to leave them off and paint them. I'm afraid if I attach them and then paint, that I'd have a seizure and then smudge the paint all over . Works for me anyway. Hope that helped. I think it's alot easier that way. Chris (Tiger 1) Carney. :-)
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 10:45 AM UTC
I generally leave the tools off until after the vehicle is painted,then I use superglue to attach them.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 08:28 PM UTC
Hi
Like the most of here, I leave them off and glue them with white glue after the model painting (and also the tools of course!) and last but not least I weather the whole model.
My two cents!
Cheers
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 11:17 PM UTC
I leave mine off too. Depending on their location and the overall weathering, I'll add them to the model as I proceed towards finishing - even if the tools are OD Green.

This is a great question - I always wondered how guys (or gals who build AFV's) attach the track runs before painting - I always put mine on after painting - like the tools and equipment...

Jim
http://www.guntruck.com
ChrisCarney
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 09:19 AM UTC
Greetings GunTruck. I'm like you, I paint mine first then secure them to the vehicle. I find it easier that way. Chris (Tiger 1) Carney.
tankbuster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 10:34 PM UTC
I used to glue them on after painting for years. and always destroyed the paint on the kit with the glue.
I therefore changed my procedure and glue them on the unpainted kit. I had no problems in doing a detailed paint job sofar.
I also add the tracks prior to painting, except if they are vinyl or from friulmodel.

regards, werner
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 06:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I used to glue them on after painting for years. and always destroyed the paint on the kit with the glue.
I therefore changed my procedure and glue them on the unpainted kit. I had no problems in doing a detailed paint job sofar.
I also add the tracks prior to painting, except if they are vinyl or from friulmodel.

regards, werner

Man, I'd like to watch you finish a model sometime Werner! I'm having trouble wrapping my soft brain cells around the concept of fixing the tracks in place before painting them :-)

Jim
San Jose, California
http://www.guntruck.com
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 02:25 PM UTC
I like to have a clear shot with the airbrush. I try to always paint before and be careful when I put them on!!
Doppler
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 58 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 05:37 PM UTC
Tracks: definately paint and detail first.

Tools: I seem to be in the minority here. I attach first, while the kit is new and unpainted. Pretty much when the kit instructions say to. I then paint and detail the attachments while in the detail/weather mode of the kit overall.

Really never thought anything about it. I would rather fix a paint smudge (small with 00 scale brushes) than fudge up the superglue application when my kit was perfectly detailed and weathered.

You know... maybe I'll try painting them off next time and see how it works. Always open to new ideas.

Lucas Freeman
Brunswick, ME
(in the middle of a snow storm)
kf8xo
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 04:56 AM UTC
I like to attach after weathering.....then idividually weather each tool. This takes into account replacing lost or broken tools through the service of the vehicle.

How many posts to private??

KF8XO
Real Men Build Ground Targets.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 06:32 AM UTC
With me I do both, but in most cases depending on the tool, I glue it to the vehicle before I airbrush.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 06:42 AM UTC
I paint tools first, put them on the unpainted vehicle, put on masking fluid, then spraypaint vehicle, remove masking fluid before weathering.
I'm affraid the glue would not work on painted surfaces. But now I notice you guys do that anyway... I'll try it like that next time !

Jan
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 06:44 AM UTC
Rufus,

Old boy ! what an image change !!! looks like a butterfly came out of the popula !
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 09:04 PM UTC
It depends on the tools, I will atach most of them BEFORE painting but stuff like tow cables I put on After painting
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 11:20 PM UTC
Friends--I paint then place the tools and assorted gear on the vehicle. Follow on question: I note that many people paint the handles of the shovels and axes with a blend that mimics wood. I have not cracked that nut. My Master Modeler Wood looks like a weak tan. Are you guys using oil paints? If so, can provide some insight. If you consult that fine Australian modeling site (Perth Military Modelling Society), some fine fellow made an M-8 that will make your eyes water. I am getting frustrated trying to get that same color scheme. Appreciate your help as always.
DJ
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2002 - 12:20 AM UTC
For tools I have done both ways. A while back (in RMS I believe) there was a discussion about painting tools. Someone pointed out that tools would have been painted to match the vehicle, so as to blend in. So now I do that, then apply weathering/use to each tool according to the vehicles condition. I may be in the minority of modelers who like to build clean, well maintained looking vehicles. (Maybe because I have no confindence in my ability to weather). As for tracks, it was pointed out that on a new tank the tracks would probably be painted the base color of the tank. Of course, tracks would lose paint quickly.So Ihave been painting the tracks on the tank and then weathering them.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2002 - 12:29 AM UTC
CFbush--check out that Perth site. Basic Issue Items like a shovel and ax seldom match the basic vehicle color. The contrast is striking when you get the right combination. This draws the viewer to observe your expertise in getting that shovel on the back deck with the tie downs clearly indicated. I tried using wine bottle foil for tie downs and what a difference it makes. I use it all the time now.
DJ
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 02:30 AM UTC
I used to paint my tools off the model, then attach them before weathering. But since I like to use ethed brass straps on my tools it is sometimes hard to glue it in place without screwing up the base coat. I have changed my philosophy and now build the model with all tools atached and paint them after I have airbrushed the model. I usually paint the heads of my tools black, and drybrush them enamel steel (thank you Tony Greenland for the info). The drybrushing stage hides any missed spots that are close to the model surface.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 04:31 AM UTC
Another mixed bag, but if it works, what the hay I paint the tools then mount after vehicle has benn painted. Since I have swiched primarily to modern US armor, and particularly those I have operated, I base my techniques from that. 1. We always removed any tools (primarily pioneer tools) from the vehicles or locked them inside, if they could not be stored in a sponson box. So the tools did not age with the vehicles, plus they grew legs and wandered off while in the motorpool. In addition, we often did not store the pioneer tools (shovel, axe & maddox) where the TMs dictated. 2. We never painted the wooden parts of tools - after we got blasted by an IG inspection, we just used lemon oil or such to perserve the wood. The safety office said a splinter from a painted wooden tool handle increased chances of an infection in the wound. A more practical reason was, that once painted, by Army custom, you have to keep repainting!!!

For those that place first, then paint - AMAZING SKILLS you have. :-)

Jeff
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 04:35 AM UTC
Before or after painting?? We are talking about tools here aren't we? That's kinda like pre-constructional, and post constructional building no?

Jack :-)
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 04:43 AM UTC
My 2 Euro cents worth: Tools oftern depend upon their source of origin. Thus they can be painted in the vehicle colour, on a camoflage application, when not removed, white washed along with the vehicel, new dirty weathered, in either blond or burnt sienna coloured wood. They "grey up" with ontemerate weather. Check your sources. I'll try top do a special feature on painting tools if anyone is interested?

Jack
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 05:00 AM UTC
I had forgotten all about this question a while ago. Now who went and dug this one out?

I totally understand the PE thing Tiger1, in fact I hadn't even thought of that as a factor.

Some very interesting reasons for "before or after". Thanks for all the input. :-)
 _GOTOTOP