_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Gulf War Sand
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2011 - 07:52 AM UTC
Hi Gang,i`m now about to start (finally plucked the courage !) my Accurate Armour Challenger CRAAV which i`d like to do in desert sand from the first gulf war.
The problem is looking through my collection of colour conversion charts (i paint using Humbrol enamels) that two colour numbers come up No`s 63 and 93 !.
my question to my fellow modellers is which would be correct ? - Tamiya`s suggestion for the Chally 1 base kit is 63,but to my mind this is a bit too yellow,any guidance would be appreciated.
heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 604 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2011 - 01:05 PM UTC
The Chally wore a desert color that was very yellow..and wore off very quickly.

I used a mix of yellow and sand to make the Gulf war color on mine. Sorry..I haven't used humbro colors
charging_rhinos
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 03:35 AM UTC
Paint matching is so hard! Very subjective. Heliman is right, though. The Challenger did have a more yellow color than what most think of as Gulf War Sand. Much more yellow than the usual Abrams sand color of Testors MM Sand (FS33531). Tamiya's Desert Yellow acrylic is pretty close, although that does have possibly too much yellow. I don't use Humbrol paints myself, but to me, it looks a bit too 'dark peach' tinted. But it seems pretty close. I'd say that the true color is somewhere between that and FS 33531 sand, with a touch of desert yellow in it. Here's a pretty good photo of what it looks like in person:

If you're definitely going to use Humbrol, the 63 might be very useful as a panel shading, base coat or detailing color. But I'd mix my own to get an accurate approximation of it. Let us know what you decide to use, and good luck!
heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 04:51 AM UTC
I just had a peek at the Osprey book I used for painting mine...the color I used was Tamiya desert yellow and flat yellow in a 3 : 1 ratio. NOT much help w/ Humbro colors..but might get ya closer

heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 05:19 AM UTC
Heres a couple suggestions for your paint scheme ..Humbrol 24 and 63. I used this paint chart for the reference. hope it helps

http://scalemodeldb.com/paintcharts/humbrol

Jeff
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 08:20 AM UTC
Hi Jeff,thanks for the great link,i found it so useful i`ve added it to my favourites for future reference !.
Thanks Mate
heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 01:24 PM UTC
Glad to help sir!!!
 _GOTOTOP