Stug III Ausf.A
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 07:47 AM UTC
Hi Folks,

I have just got Trumpeter's Stug III Ausf. B/C and wanted to backdate it to an A. I was most impressed with the Trumpeter kit, it is crisply moulded and although the tools are moulded in place they are finely done (I glue all my tools in place anyway). The only thing I didn't really like was the vinyl tracks. I've nothing against them, they are finely done, but I prefer L&L. To backdate it all I needed was a set of early sprockets with holes, these were conveniently obtained from the Dragon Nashorn kit, where they come as an alternative to the spoked wheels. This is a bonus as you get two versions of the spoked wheels in the Trumpeter kit, more good stuff for the spares box. I also used a spare set of tracks from the Revell Panzer III L, these are the slightly wider 40cm tracks as opposed to the correct 38cm tracks, but the difference is not that noticeable. Anyway here are the build photos so far.

I will post again when there is some more progress.

All the best,

Paul
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 06:25 AM UTC
Very interesting, Paul. At first I thought that those were Dragon DS tracks. So, does the Revell Pz IIIL come with two sets of tracks? Good job that you avoided the Trumpeter tracks as a fellow in my club built this beast and found the tracks to be about six links too long. That and the fact that almost no glue will hold them together if you try to reattach them. He ended up having to sew them back together and hide his surgery with mud.

Cheers,
Jan
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 11:20 AM UTC
Hi Paul

I find that super glue fixes Trumpeter tracks, I get a good fix with the brush on liquid variety, provided you hold them in place for a few seconds to let the glue set, but you probably know that

I found the tracks a bit long on the Trump stugs too, but its better than being too short

looking forward to more of your progress shots

cheers
Neil

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 12:27 PM UTC
Nice progress Paul.
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 01:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very interesting, Paul. At first I thought that those were Dragon DS tracks. So, does the Revell Pz IIIL come with two sets of tracks? Good job that you avoided the Trumpeter tracks as a fellow in my club built this beast and found the tracks to be about six links too long. That and the fact that almost no glue will hold them together if you try to reattach them. He ended up having to sew them back together and hide his surgery with mud.

Cheers,
Jan

Hi Jan,

I guessed that the tracks might be a problem, that's why I opted to use some spare Revell ones. Unfortunately the Pz III doesn't come with extra tracks, but you can purchase spare ones from Revell. The Trumpeter tracks are nicely detailed, it's just a shame they are difficult to work with and, apart from Dragon DS tracks, I prefer L&L.

All the best,

Paul
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 01:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Paul

I find that super glue fixes Trumpeter tracks, I get a good fix with the brush on liquid variety, provided you hold them in place for a few seconds to let the glue set, but you probably know that

I found the tracks a bit long on the Trump stugs too, but its better than being too short

looking forward to more of your progress shots

cheers
Neil

Hi Neil,

I have used Trumpeter tracks twice and like you ended up with superglue and a lot of patience to get them stuck. The one set was for their Jagdpanther and, again, they were nicely detailed but a pain to stick in place. I was really impressed with the basic model and for early war stuff is the only game in town. I am debating whether to use a metal barrel or not, as the Trumpeter one is quite nice. Thanks for the comments.

All the best,

Paul
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 01:31 PM UTC
Excellent build so far. I have this kit in my stash so it is a mighty tempting subject.

I now sew my Trumpeter tracks together with fine black thread. Works extremely well, provides a strong join and can be effectively hidden under a road wheel.
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 01:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice progress Paul.

Hi Anthony,

Thank you, I will post again when some more is done.

All the best,

Paul
PedroA
Visit this Community
Valencia, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 07:40 AM UTC
Paul, you can to follow with your model, so I will use your pictures to make the same model.

Regards. Pedro.
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 12:48 AM UTC
Hi Pedro,

Thank you for your kind comment. Apparently there are some errors in my build. I have been told what is wrong, some I can correct, some I can't, I will post a list and the updated progress soon.

All the best,

Paul
 _GOTOTOP