_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
REVIEW
4BO Russian Green Modulation Set
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 10:07 AM UTC
Darren Baker reviews one of the colour modulation sets available from AK interactive and AK interactive USA, 4BO Russian Green Special Modulation set.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 12:23 PM UTC
Great review Darren, thanks for it. You are right, this set won't magically turn you into an airbrush expert. Just like a new set of golf clubs won't make you Tiger Woods. But I do think that this set takes a lot of the fear and confusion out of color modulation. Even basic airbrush skills promise to yield excellent results.
You CAN return paint back to the bottle if you have leftover in the cup. The dropper top on Vallejo bottles comes out with a gentle twist and pull. It pops right back in when you're done.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 12:40 PM UTC
Thank you for that comment and information Matt. Ref the cap issue; I could see it was a separate part but I was unable to remove the cap by hand, I could have tried pliers but I was concerned about damaging the neck of the bottle. All that aside as long as you don't just fill the airbrush you will not have an issue should you have the same problem I did.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 01:02 PM UTC
Something else I should add is that AK interactive and AK interactive USA will be carrying replacement paints for both of the current colour modulation sets (thank you for the information Iain Hamilton of AK interactive USA). With the additional information from Matt despite my problems with the paint dispenser I believe that the only issue left now is each persons ability to utilise them in their air brush.
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 01:14 PM UTC
Just looked at the review,hoping that it would be another a good one.And it was.I am new to military modeling,and all this painting and weathering stuff has me somewhat stumped.But based on the things about AK I see on this site ,they seem to make it easy.I will be ordering some of their DVDs and products soon and hope to have good results.About the bottles,I have removed the tops of these types of by inserting a thin knife blade between the bottle and top seam and carfully prying them apart.Don't know if it will work on these ,but it may be worth a try.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 10:20 AM UTC
Nice work, Darren.

There are those in the hobby who feel it's "cheating" to use pre-fab washes and filters or masks made for individual vehicles. "Real" modelers wouldn't use anything that was made for them. I happen to disagree, and feel that every shortcut I can take means more time to build other kits.

So many tanks, so little time.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 11:22 AM UTC
AK interactive have provided the tools to use and the DVDs to educate, it is still up to the user to master them. As for cheating they are entitled to an opinion.
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 10:24 AM UTC
I will have this set in use quite quickly. Does anyone know about an on-line tutorial with more images/ explanations than provided here by AK? I think I've heard something about but can't find anything.

thanks
spit
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 05:36 PM UTC
Pawel, here's a great 'walkthru' by Iain Hamilton using the 4BO set:

4BO Russian Green

And check out more of Iain's "topics started" in his profile to find more tips on a variety of subjects.
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 08:01 AM UTC
Thanks James
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 - 04:10 AM UTC
I will give this a shot on my SU-85 ,I think its worth it to try some new techniques.
 _GOTOTOP