_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Universal carrier question
campbellbart
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 07:16 AM UTC
A questions about the radio antennas. It looks like there are three mounting locations for antennas - Two at the front area and one at the back of the vehicle. Would all of these be used....or what is the purpose of all three...just trying to decide if I need to mount antennas in all three locations or if I could get away with only one or two of them.

Let me know

Bart
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 07:35 PM UTC
Hi Bert,

Two of the mounts were for the No 19 radio and the 3rd for a second set a No 38 if used.

The two fitting on the front were for the No 19 set as supplied with the kit. The fitting on the RHS is the No 8 Ariel Base and the one on the LHS is the Ariel Base No 9 mounting No 1.

A copy of the wiring diagram is below for reference only.

There were variations, not all carriers were equipted with radios, the fittings on the Mk II I believe were standard though, but check your refs.

Hope that helps.

Al

campbellbart
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 12:09 AM UTC
Thanks for the help.

Bart
griffontech
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 - 04:10 AM UTC
Alan,
The diagram you provide is great. I tried looking for these types for my Tamiya Rorced Recon kit.
One question. The Tamiya instructions have you mounting the radio against the front wall of the right side compartment, but this diagram looks as if the shelf is too large and the radio is against the right side wall. Is this correct?
Also your description of the antenna bases would support a forward wall mounting.

Just wondering.
Thanks
Dave
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 - 04:27 AM UTC
In addition to Als excellent reply above I'd add the the two mounts for thenumber 19 set are for the tw sets within the number 19 Wireless Telephone Set; teh A and B sets.

one was short range and was used for inter-troop communication in tanks and the longer range set for inter-squadron communication (or in the case of the sqn commander's tank, with the HQ and other squadrons) All tanks in the unit being 'netted' through the longer range set

From around normandy onwards, tanks also carried a WS38. The WS 38 was the standard radio equipped to the infantry so it allowed tanks to directly communicate and laise with the infantry (in addition to the telephone located on the back of the tank, obviously that was no good for talking to an infantry section commander 1/4 of a mile away!)

Getting back to the carrier, the radio fit would depend on what unit was using the carrier (artillery, infantry, armoured etc), and the purpose of that carrier within the unit, as radios weren't handed out to all, only those that required them

The standard location for the number 19 set is indeed where Tamiya have it in the kit
griffontech
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 03:58 AM UTC
Chris,
Thanks for the reply. I built the model more as a practice of different painting and building techniques and hadn't decided on a particular unit or role. Because I wanted to do a desert cam carrier with a green interior for something visually different, the story was it was going to be a carrier that was originally slated for Africa but got quickly diverted to Sicily and Italy for the campiagns there.
Since I am ex-armoured recce and I liked the idea of the radio in the vehicle, this would probably be headquarters vehicle in a recce squadron.

The model is almost done and I will post pic's soon.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 04:55 AM UTC
Hi Bart,

The diagram shows the set as mounted in a Universal carrier Mk 1 using the No 22 Carrier Frame.

On the Universal Carrier Mk II Motor Battalion Scout Platoon it was located on the forward firewall and No 18 set were used before the No 19. So location kinda depends on what your building, but the presence of a radio in the earlier carrier would indicate a Pl Commanders vehicle.

Al
 _GOTOTOP