_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Goldeneye Train
ZiggyCurrans
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 12:13 PM UTC
I'm an avid ferroequinologist (one who studies the iron horse) and have been modeling since I was about 12. Anywho, when I first saw Goldeneye as a young child, I was in awe of the Soviet missile train that Yanis uses as his base. It was pure badassery. Then a few years ago, I discovered that some companies make G scale armored trains and a few make HO scale armored trains. Being an HO modeler, I was wondering if anyone knows of any companies that would make a semi made or premade model of the Goldeneye missile train? I don't have much time to build it and am on a budget, but I would like links and/or pictures nonetheless. Thanks.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 04:59 PM UTC
None have been done that I have seen, especially in kit form, but check out Trumpeter's German Armored trains. One of the engines is just screaming for a big red star and some 4BO green!

Considering the source, you will either need to modify something or scratchbuild. Wish I had better news for you.
ZiggyCurrans
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 06:26 PM UTC
Dude, you're from the Iowa National Guard? I'm from Des Moines!!!!
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 02:35 PM UTC
Nope, MN. The division is spread out over several states and HQ'd in MN. But Iowa NG is still better than most others I knew. At least your arty shot the right direction consistently!
ZiggyCurrans
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 04:15 PM UTC
I take it your artillery had a few instances of friendly fire? Anywho, you said in your profile that you make custom Russ-Soviet models. How much would it cost me to have you scratchbuild/kitbash a functioning Soviet missile train from Goldeneye in HO? I've been working in three times as many hours as I normally do at my work, so I might be able to afford it, even though I'm a generally brokeass college student. I will gladly save up for more than a year just to have the most badass train since The General.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_General_(locomotive)

I already have a fairly sturdy T-72 in HO that could be destroyed on the tracks by a full speed Soviet missile train.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 09:25 PM UTC
Hi Rob. There is a railroad campaign planned for later this year that may interest you. Sorry for going off topic, just thought you should know.
ZiggyCurrans
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 09:46 PM UTC
I just found out while Googling "HO Goldeneye Train" that this topic was sent throughout the KitMaker Network. How do I know if it's in other forums? Also, I'm not very good with model railroads. I'm doing a campaign called Urban Warfare on Armorama where I intend to model a European WWII tank battle in a town with some rail lines included.
ZiggyCurrans
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 10:14 PM UTC
I just found this train online. It's kind of like the Goldeneye train, but not close enough for me. The website for the company is all in Japanese, so I can't navigate it.

http://quinntopia.blogspot.com/2010/11/locomotive-roster-nankai-rapt-50000.html
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 02:48 AM UTC
Making one for you would likely be rather expensive, especially on a college budget.

However, I did find this thread to give you some more info: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/35813/goldeneye-russian-armoured-train/

It would probably be a moderate amount of work to construct/convert, not too bad. Set your hand at it.
ZiggyCurrans
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 01:47 PM UTC
The problem is that there are no pictures or descriptions about how to do it. I think I could do a used Penn Central or other flat black HO V-1000 with plain DC. It would be cheaper being used and not DCC. I think that I can do this for a campaign....
ianclasper
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 - 08:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm an avid ferroequinologist (one who studies the iron horse) and have been modeling since I was about 12. Anywho, when I first saw Goldeneye as a young child, I was in awe of the Soviet missile train that Yanis uses as his base. It was pure badassery. Then a few years ago, I discovered that some companies make G scale armored trains and a few make HO scale armored trains. Being an HO modeler, I was wondering if anyone knows of any companies that would make a semi made or premade model of the Goldeneye missile train? I don't have much time to build it and am on a budget, but I would like links and/or pictures nonetheless. Thanks.

The train scenes of Goldeneye were filmed on the Nene Valley Railway in England. The locomotive as a heavy modified British Class 20 Roadswitcher (Armored Skirts, Huge Red Star etc etc. ) Nene valley hosts a collection of both British and European equipment, so the rest of the train's origin is difficult to tell beneath the "Hollywood Makeup" that was liberally applied.

As for modeling, Models are available in the UK for the Class 20 , these are all OO scale (1/76) which would be a good match for both your HO railroad (same gage) and your braille scale T72.

Hope this helps

Ian
Roxyguy
Visit this Community
Galway, Ireland
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2013 - 10:09 AM UTC
Here's a link to exactly what you are looking for, available from about 45dollars from shapeways

http://www.shapeways.com/model/800095/james-bond-00-gauge-goldeneye-loco.html?li=productBox-search
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 06:48 PM UTC
OO Guage. Roughly 1/76 scale. I would have this made with White - Strong - and flexible as a MINIMUM. Sandstone will NOT cut it. However, I have done business with shapeways and they are very good.
 _GOTOTOP