_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
First Photos: The Hobby Boss Boxer
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 01:59 AM UTC
Hobby Boss have just sent us a large batch of photos of one of this year''s most long-awaited releases in 1/35th scale: 82480 - BOXER. The Full Photo-Report can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 02:21 AM UTC
This looks real good. Very nice detail on various areas and looks like a good amount of PE. I wonder will there be any interior?

Thanks to Hobbyboss and Jim.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 02:27 AM UTC
Looks like a great kit. Hopefully I will be able to buy it without breaking the bank.
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 02:30 AM UTC
Looks great. With such detailed photos available can we presume this is only a few months away?
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 03:03 AM UTC
Well, it's on preorder at Hobby Search for mid April.. but of course the price is a little.... I'll just wait a little till it hits the HK stores at half that price.

Very nice looking kit, by the way!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10139888

Hisham
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 03:19 AM UTC
Hi all,

I hate to spoil the fun, but the model depicts a 2004 Prototype. I was on it at the Hammelburg Infantry School and took a good walkaround. I tried to convince the HobbyBoss represenative in Nuremberg that make the model -like the real one- should constructed in modules. So they might have the chance to change the rear module into the series configuration. The first series Boxer have handed over to the Infantry School in December, so it`s unlikely the HB could produce a series vehicle. The Revell kit will be in series configuration.
If the price tag isn`t to high, I will get one anyway, to build some memories.

Hans-Hermann
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,096 posts
Armorama: 1,983 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 03:27 AM UTC
OH nice it is good to see hobby boss taking on more modern subjects!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

I hate to spoil the fun, but the model depicts a 2004 Prototype. I was on it at the Hammelburg Infantry School and took a good walkaround. I tried to convince the HobbyBoss represenative in Nuremberg that make the model -like the real one- should constructed in modules. So they might have the chance to change the rear module into the series configuration. The first series Boxer have handed over to the Infantry School in December, so it`s unlikely the HB could produce a series vehicle. The Revell kit will be in series configuration.
If the price tag isn`t to high, I will get one anyway, to build some memories.

Hans-Hermann

Hans, can you explain which parts of the HB kit are inaccurate? I'm thinking of buying this when it is released and I'd like to know about any alterations I'd have to make so I can plan ahead.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 11:17 AM UTC
Hello Karl,

the modifications on the kit will be massive:
- The octagonal device on the roof has to be removed.
- Commanders hatch has no m.g..
- Instead the vehicles have the FLW 200 OWS.
- The arrangement of the hatches on the roof is different.
plus some other minor differences. The biggest problem will be getting a decent FLW 200. We provided HobbyBoss with images of the series vehicles, but I am not sure if HB will make the mods.
Tankograd has a two part article on the Boxer in their Militärfahrzeug magazine.

Hans-Hermann

You can also check the homepage of Krauss-Maffei Wegmann for pics.
www.kmweg.de

Also interesting:
www.artec-boxer.com
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 02:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I tried to convince the HobbyBoss represenative in Nuremberg that make the model -like the real one- should constructed in modules.

..and i'm sure they were too busy with the REAL work of the company (i,e, business) to pay much attention to your complaints. Quite honestly, what DID you expect? N'Berg is NOT for hobbyists, it's for (ahem) business...
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 02:14 PM UTC
I believe Revell-Germany is about to release a 1/35 Boxer too. It might not be any more accurate than the HB offering, but it'll probably be cheaper!
Buck_Compton
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 02:22 PM UTC
Awesome!!! Will be a cool addition to my collection modern vehicle's. Still hoping for the Leopard PSO and a couple of others like the Fennek and the Patria.

Cheers

Remi
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 04:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

..and i'm sure they were too busy with the REAL work of the company (i,e, business) to pay much attention to your complaints. Quite honestly, what DID you expect? N'Berg is NOT for hobbyists, it's for (ahem) business...

Well maybe when it starts getting feedback like this, one month in advance of its release, and people are put off buying it ..... it might effect that business???
I never can understand when companies turn down the free help from those who know and have offered up the material needed. They´ve had the time since Nuremberg to fix the problem, but have decided to rush it out instead. Something that is all too common today.
With so many of these modern eight wheel vehicles on the market currently, the last thing their "business" wants is a backlash from the general public.
Shift911
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 05:13 PM UTC
I think looking at HB's past production, seeing them continue with releases and updated variants after this wouldn't be too far fetched. I'll look for HobbyBoss's over Revells, the quality looks much better, and I'm more comfortable building an unfamiliar subject without the instruction confusion and parts breakdown of a few similar I've built from Revell (Luchs/Fuchs) Thanks for the news Jim.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 07:21 PM UTC
As for the Revell kit, I know for sure that they did their research on a series vehicle at Krauss-Maffei Wegmann plant in Munich. They might even have access to the companies drawings. I think that the Revell will cost no more than 35 or 40 €.
It`s no secret that HB and Trumpeter sometimes "borrow" "ideas" from other companies. My experiences with Chinese companies tell me that they listen to ideas and critisisms, but I `m not sure that these will reach the decisionmaking levels of the companies.
I noticed the Trumpeter upcoming Harrier GR.7 kit will contain NO UK Ordnance, So I gave my friend at Trumpeter some background info on UK weapons. I really wonder if we will see a British Aircraft weapon set in the future.

Hans-Hermann
Nitevision75
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 08:41 PM UTC
Dear Guys,

Hermann is completely right. The current GTK Boxer looks completely different than the prototype released by HB.

I just saw some GTK Boxer last Thursday at the German Infantry School during training when I took photos for a new book about the Dingo 1 & 2. As I work for the GTK Boxer manufacturer Artec as a photographer I saw the prototype in Munich and Trier. Just last Wednesday I photographed the drivers training version in Dornstadt.

Regards,
Ralph
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 10:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I tried to convince the HobbyBoss represenative in Nuremberg that make the model -like the real one- should constructed in modules.

Yeah and business has nothing to do with the satisfaction of the end customer, right?
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 10:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

yes, and who keeps them in the business? we do! the hobbyists! duh!
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 10:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What, so it doesnt matter that Hobbyboss ignored one individual 'hobbyist' who just happens to know his stuff and is clearly more knowledgeable than the HB research staff. As a paying customer, its absolutely NOT ok that companies shovel out any old crap full of inaccuracies. Every single model company out there should release that they work for US! Because we buy this stuff and keep em in business.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 03:08 AM UTC
I'll reiterate what I said earlier. It's unusual that the designers are present at Trade Shows. What would have been more practical is to have e-mailed Hobby Boss with the concerns about the model and very importantly backing it up with documentation.

I'll make the following offer. If anyone has concerns about a FUTURE release with problems or misinterpretation (Prototype Vs. Production for example), i'm MORE than happy, to pass them on to the company. I've got a direct link to Hobby Boss and Trumpeter. That doesn't mean i'll pass on suggestions for new models (I WON'T, so don't ask), but if it allows them to get access to better information, it's all to the good...

That doesn't change what I said originally, Nuremberg is NOT for consumers it's for Retailers & Distributors.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Karl,

the modifications on the kit will be massive:
- The octagonal device on the roof has to be removed.
- Commanders hatch has no m.g..
- Instead the vehicles have the FLW 200 OWS.
- The arrangement of the hatches on the roof is different.
plus some other minor differences. The biggest problem will be getting a decent FLW 200. We provided HobbyBoss with images of the series vehicles, but I am not sure if HB will make the mods.
Tankograd has a two part article on the Boxer in their Militärfahrzeug magazine.

Hans-Hermann

You can also check the homepage of Krauss-Maffei Wegmann for pics.
www.kmweg.de

Also interesting:
www.artec-boxer.com

Thanks Hans, should come in handy.
I still reckon I'd go for the HB kit over the Revell one. Any word on how far along the Revell one is?
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 09:23 AM UTC
Not making excuses for inaccurate kits, but given that Hobby Boss tends to release variants, perhaps they will release the production version after this prototype version hits the shelves...?

Cool looking vehicle --- very futuristic. Would look great in a sci-fi diorama.

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 04:19 AM UTC
Hello Karl,

accoding to Revell, the release date is September 2011.

Hans-Hermann
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Karl,

accoding to Revell, the release date is September 2011.

Hans-Hermann

Cheers Hans.
VenomOrca
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 08:28 PM UTC
So this is basically a German Stryker eh ?

I kinda like it.
 _GOTOTOP