_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-72A Barrel Help
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 04:15 AM UTC
What gun did the T-72A have, a l/48 or a 1/48 d 81k? Thanks.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 02:32 PM UTC
Ah, I see you posted here. No problem.

All I know is that they were fitted/retrofitted with the 2A46M to improve barrel life, but I have never delved into the differences of the barrels otherwise. For all I know they are all L48.

Anyone else?
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 04:42 AM UTC
Frankly, if Jacques doesn't know we're screwed !

I don't know if this helps, but I found it quite interesting:

Quoted Text

The primary weapon of the T-72B tank is the 125mm 2A46M special tank smoothbore gun-launcher featuring an increased barrel length and decreased normal recoil. Owing to the updating of the gun, its firing accuracy and operational properties were substantially improved. Moreover, the gun's capability to fire guided projectiles made it possible to increase the effective range of fire at armored targets to 4,000 m (compared with 3,000 m for the M1A2 and Leopard and 3,400 m for the Leclerc), with a 0.8 probability of hitting a tank-type target. In addition, the gun design enables the barrel to be replaced in field conditions owing to the introduction of the barrel-to-breech ring quick-disconnect threaded joint.

TANK T-72B CHARACTERISTICS
The gun breech mechanism permits it to be opened in two cycles, thus reducing the effort applied for the purpose. The recoil brake cylinders are secured symmetrically to the gun barrel, which favorably contributes to fire accuracy due to the absence of gun torque during recoil. The recoil system provides for free recoil until the projectile exits from the barrel bore.
The gun is provided with a built-in device enabling the crew to collimate the sight without leaving the tank.
The fire is delivered by separate case artillery rounds with hypervelocity armor-piercing (HVAP), high-explosive anti-tank (HEAT), HE fragmentation projectiles and guided missiles having a HEAT warhead. All artillery rounds have the same charge with a partially combustible case. The case, after the round is fired, is automatically ejected by the disposal mechanism through a special hatch in the turret roof.

The 3UBK-14 round consists of the 9M119 missile and a propellant. Its dimensions are similar to those of an ordinary artillery round; therefore, its loading into a cell of the automatic loader carousel and subsequently into the gun does not differ from the loading of an artillery round. The gun ammunition load consists of 45 rounds, 22 of which are arranged in the automatic loader carousel.
The 9K120 guided weapon system ensures daytime stationary and short-halt fire at a range of 100 to 4,000 m. It is equipped with a semiautomatic jam-proof laser beam missile control system.
The fire control system comprises the 1A40-1 sighting complex based on the TPD-K1 laser ranging sight of the T-72A tank. The field of view of the sight is stabilized in two planes.
For firing artillery rounds at night and launching guided missiles in daytime, provision is made for the 1K13-49 tracker, which is included into the 9K120 guided weapon system. It can operate in both the active and the passive mode.
The gun is stabilized in two planes by means of the 2E42-2 stabilizer provided with the electrohydraulic elevating drive and electromechanical traversing drive.

Found at: http://warfare.ru/?linkid=1775&catid=244.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 05:12 AM UTC
In my search for an answer, I found that you can buy a lifesize one for a cool $2,500,000. And, it is fully functional!
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Frankly, if Jacques doesn't know we're screwed

We? You may be, there are those of us who are not.
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 10:04 AM UTC
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 11:34 AM UTC
I guess I have to agree with Tony on this one...I am not the "ultimate expert" on anything, especially since I a.) do not speak or read Russian and b.) I have not been to Russia (though i should have last year...darn it!). I am always willing to help, and I know we all like to joke around, but everything I get comes from off the internet. I have a vast collection of places to search, including Russian sites, but the translations can be pretty horrible. This is where friends that speak Russian come in handy!

I only claim moderate expertise with the T-80 series as I have spent MANY hours studying what I could.

Now, does anyone have anything else to say about the barrel?
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 02:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Frankly, if Jacques doesn't know we're screwed

We? You may be, there are those of us who are not.

Sensitive wee fella aren't you!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 04:44 AM UTC
Matt, I just found some info that says the gun is the L48 Smoothbore 125mm D-81TM manufactured by FSUE Plant No.9 in Yekaterinburg. I don't know where the 'K' designation comes from though but it seems all the aftermarket barrels are labelled 'D-81K'. The only 'K' I came across in the D-81 designations is in a Spanish gun (I think) called the KBM1 which is a 125mm L/48 based on the Soviet 2A46M2 (at least I think thats what it says).

As far as I can see the aftermarket barrels match up just fine with the real thing:

If you are still wondering I'd say go over to missing-lynx and try posting up for the attention of Steve Zaloga, that might get you in the right direction.

Jacques, I know what you're saying bud. I go in for the Chinese stuff myself but it can be difficult as a lot of the stuff out there is in the language. Still, our Chinese bros on the forums here are pretty helpful with stuff.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 07:41 AM UTC
Nice work Karl. All info I have run across says the barrel on the T-72 is a L48 as well.

(And isn't if fun to try to translate those native tongue pages into English? It can be a hilarious wreck, and I am sure if goes both ways.)
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 08:13 AM UTC
Thanks Karl. I realized that Lionmarc's D18K is the 1/72 scale. The 1/35 is just L/48. Strange, but I guess it is their porogative.
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 11:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not in the least. Do not mistake a prolific poster for a knowledgeable one. I am not saying Jacques falls in that category, but there are a couple of other people on here in the other forums that are given rock star status that do not have a clue what they are talking about most of the time. Jacques is fairly well versed in Russian vehicles, but he is not the end all be all and takes pains in putting that fact out there. As for being a wee fella, at 6'3" I have never been accused of that. So why don't you keep your lame insults to your self and get with the topic.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 11:50 AM UTC
Calm down guys. I don't want to see this thread locked because of a pissing contest.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 02:13 AM UTC
I agree, lets keep this on topic. We already have gotten some good info out of this, lets focus on THAT instead, shall we?

(Any more banter and I start removing posts. We have expressed our opinions, don't ruin it for Matt.)

And here is a great summary of the barrel compiled by Mr. Fofanov

http://fofanov.armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/ARM/2a46.html
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 02:57 AM UTC
Jacques, this clears it up. Lionmarc had the barrel mislabeled as being compatible with the T-72A, when it properly belonged to the T-80.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 01:58 AM UTC
Perhaps the Blast Models kit has the correct barrel??
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 03:12 AM UTC
I can get the correct barrel from lionmarc. They carry the L/48 in 1/35. The L/48 D81K is 1/72 scale.
 _GOTOTOP