_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
PPRU-1M (9S80M1) Dog Ear Build
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 01:51 PM UTC
Here is my latest build that is also being posted over on the Eastern European steel Campaign. SP design’s PPRU-1M (9S80M1) Sborka, AKA Dog Ear. I will also be using Master Club’s replacement wheel for the MT-LB family and Miniarm’s resin tracks. The wheels and tracks in the kit are the only real let down in the whole kit and felt it would be better to replace them with a more detail set. I still haven’t figure out how to paint this beast, either overall Russian green set in East Germany during the mid 80’s or tri-scheme during the 90’s in Russia.

First thing I tackled was the power generator by sanding all the details off and adding my own details that closely match the real thing as I can get. I wanted to display power cables coming off the side of the genny running towards a possible CP or some sort of C&C vehicle. There really won’t be another vehicle on the base, just the cables running towards the edge of the base giving the illusion of more behind the radar dish. I have also replaced the rear door with a new one made from plastic since SP dos not really provide a vision port for the door other than some simple lines scribed into it. This kit is pretty basic and simple to build, almost builds it’s self. A lot of sanding a dry fitting it required for this, but just a beautiful kit to have. Unfortunately I’m going to have to rebuild the dish since the one provided in the kit has a lot of air bubble in it and large gaps in the resin the can not be filled.

53Buick
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 02:45 PM UTC
Awesome! I have this one on my pile! Keep it coming. Ryan
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 03:22 PM UTC
This one is certainly going to best my T-72A. Very cool model.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 01:20 AM UTC
Nice stuff Chris- are you going to go for that interesting camo in the right hand picture on the box?
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 02:19 AM UTC
Really like the work you have done so far. I am building a older OOP MT-LBu variant and agree, the Miniarm tracks are the better ones to use as they do not break apart every other track putting them together.

Sergej does know the limitations of his MT-LBu kits, but, honestly, his target audience is Eastern Europe where many many modelers there are very happy with the current level of detail he has on kits. I am not sure he will remaster the kits to add better detail.

As for your mis-cast pieces, he is sending me new pieces, but it will be 4-6 weeks before I get them. Those parts in particular are VERY hard for him to cast. I am not sure why.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 03:22 AM UTC
Thanks everyone, this is a fun model to build up. As far as the paint goes, I do know this will be set some time during the 90's since the figures I just order are from tank and have all the uniform from that time period.

This is a very nice kit and compaired to the one that Roy built awhile back, it does not have all the air bubble that his kit had.

Jacques don't worry about the replacement parts, 4-6 weeks it a little bit longer than I want to wait for. I can have a whole new dish built up in 2-4 days as most of the kit will not at all that long to build. The 4-6 week thing, is that a hint towards a restock of kit here in the US? I'm waiting for a restock of the snow leopard since I need to arena system for a model I'm working on.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 08:29 AM UTC
Really impressive job on the details Chris I especially like the plug covers on the kind of generator at the back.

Olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 03:35 AM UTC
I sure hope restock is in 4-6 weeks. It has been a while. Sergej's kits have hit the world market and he is getting orders from everywhere! Russia is still his biggest market, but China's appetite is voracious as well. Wow.

And Sergej and I agree that the radar "dish" setup needs to be remastered as it is a bit overscale in thickness (a concession to casting) and clunky. Not likely to happen any time soon, sad to say.

So I look forward to what you are going to do with this.
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 12:59 PM UTC
Chris,
your generator rework looks great! I love the protective caps hanging from their chains.

Sean McAndrews
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 02:32 PM UTC
Thanks Sean, I'm glad you light the build so far. It's been a real pain, not the kit, but the lack of real info and photos on the vehicle.

Here is just a small update. After about an hour or so of studying what photos of the dish I can find, I have manage to rebuild the base mount for the dish. One thing I have notice is the arm for the receiver is actually mounted straight out with a slight angle down and this whole assembly folds upwards when in the stow position. There is also two actuators at the back of the support that folds the dish down. The receiver antenna was also rebuild to be longer and thinner than the supplied part. From what I can tell there is four small antennas on either side of the receive that I tried to replicate the best I can. This is still not 100% accurate, but the best I can do with the lack of great photos.

MusicOn
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 12:05 PM UTC
How's this build coming along? Enquiring minds want to know!
 _GOTOTOP