How to make 'flowing' water
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 12:10 PM UTC
Hi all,

I have some clear resin that I plan to pour in layers to create a water feature. My question is since I am trying to represent a flowing river bank, how can I create a sense of movement in the water; the resin will naturally tend to completely level off on its own.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 01:23 PM UTC
Hi zokissima,

It's actually quite easy,but a little time consuming.
Depending on the dry time of your resin you can use a hair dryer to make waves or a toothpick ,whatever to make ripples in the water.
The thing is you have to wait until the resin is very close to drying,at that time it is more plyable and it will keep the shape when dry.

Tom
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 02:07 PM UTC
You can also use quick-setting epoxy (5 minute or less) and build up waves and ripples on top of your poured river surface after it dries. Use the same technique as described above to form the epoxy as it sets.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 10:50 PM UTC
When ever working with epoxy and water test your technique on a 'demo' or 'test bed' type of scene. Water is not a very 'fixable' element.

You can also add a touch of white/blue oil paint to the tops of your ripples. Use a thin wash (not much color) to provide transparency and a delicate touch. The faster the water, the more color you would use. The more disturbed the water is the more color you would use.
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 - 05:44 AM UTC
THanks for all the feedback guys. This past weekend I finished all of the accompanying groundwork, as I was saving the 'big pour' for last. I think I will have to take your advice, and practice first to see the effects I could create.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 - 09:22 AM UTC
There are several ways.Now I use envirtex, tinted for the base. Then I use acrylic medium gel or a clear finish caulk. You can also let the envirotex dry completely and then raise one side of the base and using a pen butane torch re-heat a line for your ripples. BUT, be very carefull as I heated one up too much and it looked like a blob.
 _GOTOTOP