_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
ZVEZDA Russian tank
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 01:10 AM UTC
I´m thinking about using a Russian tank for another Winter War dio. It will also introduce the Suomi SMG and the "kasapanos", scratchbuilt tank killing charge.
I found a couple of cheap Zvezda tanks, a T-60 and a T-34/76.

Any experience on these two, quality and so? Other brands?
Recommendations? I know Paulo made a Tamiya one.(Good work, Paulo!)

Thanks,
Toni
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 01:19 AM UTC
The Zvezda T-60 has widely been considered one of the worst model kits ever created. STAY FAR AWAY! If you want a good T-60, I would suggest going with the RPM offering.

The Zvezda T-34 on the other hand is probably the most accurate T-34 kit on the market. It goes together well and is worth the money.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 01:48 AM UTC
I will echo Adam's sentiments on the Zvezda T-60. I got one at an IPMS show raffle, the kit is terrible. On the plus side, in my kit I got a Soviet Guard's uniform badge in the kit, sandwiched between the hull and a piece of stiffening styrofoam like a Cracker Jack prize.

The RPM kit comes with a superb photo etch fret that includes PE fenders. I was really impressed with the kit.
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 02:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...one of the worst model kits ever created...

Well, good for me to ask first so it´s not necessary to create any more mayhem and anguish in this cruel world!
If I ever need a nuked T-60, I´ll go for that then!

I still have some research to do to be historically accurate, but the idea is set...

Thanks for comments!

Toni
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 04:31 AM UTC
Just learned that Russia used mainly T-26 and BT-7 tanks in winter war.

Experiences? The T-26 Twin Turret looks so funny it would be a pleasure to build.
(I have this problem with my attitude; the tanks I want to build are the ones I consider ridiculous-looking. And they´re still so cute..)

Toni
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 12:37 PM UTC
Tanks.. cute? OK...

Have you ever seen the movie Winter War? It is one of the best war movies I have ever seen. Highly detailed, great battle scenes, etc. It is also a Finish movie. I highly recommend it.
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 02:27 PM UTC
Yeah, I saw the Winter War, and I´m glad it´s also known outside of Finland!
Works well what comes to the equipment and so. I just felt it lacked something in the emotional level. The 1952 version of Unknown Soldier works better in that sense.

Quoted Text

Tanks.. cute?

Well, it´s somehow amusing, thinking about these guys in their little tin cans. When the design of a vehicle is clumsy and ugly enough there is certain beauty in it. A big big metal can with small guns pointing out...And I´m not talking about modern big bad mother***ers here, they really rule! I´m certainly not a tanker, I served in artillery, and before I was only interested in aircraft. I´m not trying to insult any tank lovers by calling them cute(tanks, not tank lovers!) I was only trained to blow these things away!
And my first armor being a Schwimmwagen...what can I say? Not really the most masculine choice!

Toni
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 03:17 PM UTC
Experiences on the Zvezda T-26 model?
I know some resin sets are available also...

Thanks, Toni
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 07:20 PM UTC
Toni,

Don't hesitate to get the Zvezda T-26. It is probably the best T-26 on the market and it builds up into a nice kit. There are pictures of the one I built at http://www.track-link.net/gallery/1302. If you don't have a TL username and password, let me know and I can post the pictures here for you to look at. The only change that I would suggest that you DEFINATELY make to the kit is the tracks. They are terrible and should be replaced. I personally used Friulmodel tracks, but there are Modelkasten tracks and if you can't afford the more expensive Modelkasten and Friulmodel tracks, there is a set of plastic non-workable link-to-link tracks made by RPM (although it could be Mirage or Maquette, I can't remember exactly) that I have heard are good.
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 07:40 PM UTC
Oh great! Thanks for the info!
And here we go, a couple of teasers for "Light my Fire":

A close-up featuring Suomi SMG gun and the "Kasapanos":

Cheers, Toni
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 07:48 PM UTC
Toni,

That looks like a great idea. You better post some pictures once it's done. Another great tank that you might look into that was used by Finnish forces is the T-28. ICM makes a wonderful T-28 that builds into a great model. They also include Finnish markings if I'm not mistaken. I have some great pictures of T-28s and BT-7s (and maybe a T-26) in use with Finnish forces. Let me know if you are interested and I will scan some for you.
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 07:57 PM UTC
Thanks, I´d love to have some reference pics! If you have time to scan those just throw me an email!
I will go for the russian T-26 with this one, though. Ka-BOOOOM!
:-)

Toni
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 08:13 PM UTC
Toni,

O.k. I'll get you some pics this weekend.
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 08:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you don't have a TL username and password, let me know and I can post the pictures here for you to look at.

Wanna see wanna see!!!

Toni
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 08:48 PM UTC
Tomi,

O.k. I just sent them to [email protected] so they can be posted. As soon as everything is done, I will link to them in a post here as well.
 _GOTOTOP