Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Cromwell Armour Challenger 2 TES Conversion.
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 03:15 AM UTC
Great build so far!
The barrel is from Lion Marc, FKA Armour Workshop, in case somebody wants to get the barrel and doesn´t find Armour Workshop.

Thomas
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 03:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great build so far!
The barrel is from Lion Marc, FKA Armour Workshop, in case somebody wants to get the barrel and doesn´t find Armour Workshop.

Thomas

Amazing eh, couldn't get it right if I tried.

I bought two when they first came out some years ago and have been sitting on one of them.
The other was used on my Tamiya Chally 2 conversion, using Accurate Armour's slat Armour upgrade.....

Now I know where to get more, I bet they are more than the $12.00 I paid.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 01:15 AM UTC
Ok chaps a bit more completed over the weekend!

You can see the completed nose with drivers camera and the belly armor under his location.
I have also used lights from the Tamiya Challenger 2 kit. Again Trumpeter's come up short.
The sensors/jammers are now in place.

Now the barrel is in and you must ensure the end with the rifling shows!

I replaced the exhaust outlets with a set left over from an AA. conversion kit, the Trumpeter ones are to small.

You can see the sag in the recoil bellows here. I used the Tamiya kit telescopic sight door cover and commanders site washer nozzel (better scale detail).

Tamiya coax barrel (finer detail and hollowed out end). Turn indicators in place and wing mirror attachments added (arms removed).

Coming along nicely and starting to take shape.

Cromwell added the latest right rear vent/intake as well. Nothing it seems gets past Gordon when it comes to detail. A little filing and filling needed here, I'll do that next.

I am enjoying this build and I hope to keep my momentum going, work and home duties allowing!
Trumpeter does have a few issues that need to be sorted when it comes to fit and seams but nothing that patience and a file or two cannot fix.

My hat is off to Cromwell (Gordon Brown) for the brilliant fit of his parts to the kit.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 12:55 AM UTC
I noticed a major mistake in one of my own pictures last night!

The two supports under the nose armor SHOULD fit/rest inside the front tow hooks?

I will rectify this on Friday (if I remember)...

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 12:52 AM UTC
I got a bit more completed yesterday so here we are again.
Much of my time was spent removing seam lines and ejector pin marks from the Trumpeter kit however...

The ECM table is in place as are the smoke grenade launchers, both hatches, turret block and slat armor. The kit parts mate extremely well with the Cromwell turret thankfully. Both hatches are positionable in real life so different angles are up to the builder.

The antennas on the table seem to vary but 5 in number is the norm. Looking at many different pictures it seems the positioning on the table comes down to Squadron and troop level, no doubt the tecchies are involved and changed according to updated equipment and threat.

Gordon does supply the rod measurements 44 and 22 mm.

I am not certain about the locating position of the wire cutter in front of the Enforcer weapons station? It appears to be either above center of the smoke grenade launcher and to the side on others. i will research that some more.

Next will be the rear decks and hull.

Sadly my photographs didn't work out yesterday so I will take some more later today but here you will get the idea of where I am.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 10:11 AM UTC
A picture of crews in training in and around Bovington.

"NOTE' the broom carried for cleanup duties (and it's not a Horse)..

The Green banner looks like an "ATDU" (Army Trials and Development Unit) banner.
They could be testing the Barracuda camo to see if it stays in place under movement or the ECM table.

As you can see in this picture, SOME of the turret armor blocks still have the Triangles applied to them, these have been taped over it seems.

The 'Enforcer' remote weapons station in place. I drilled out the base and inserted a brass rod, this allows it to be turned. The ammo chute and optic grill guard are not fitted, these will be applied after painting is complete.

I have used the Black flexible mantlet mat cover from the Tamiya kit.

ECM table and antennas.

The placement of some of the items contained in and around the 'Enforcer' station need to be clearer and study of the photos a must.

More during the week or weekend.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 02:06 AM UTC
Made a start on the back end yesterday and as I predicted (to myself) problems to be sorted out.

Removing all of the hinges and deck lifting handles from the Trumpeter sprues needs care and patience (being old my time is short)... Luckily I have a spare Challenger 2 (earlier issued version) in a box and was able replace a couple I damaged and lost during the process.

I also added the securing pole/mount for the Crow (wrecking) bar, a must, otherwise the rear clamp bolt is secured to, NOTHING.

I have used a mix of Tamiya parts for the rear end due to the misgivings I have about scale and detail of the Trumpeter parts.
Some are soft on detail and some are under/over scale? You be the judge when and if you build yours...
The Tamiya Gun Clamp has nicer and crisper detail...

The Trumpeter photoetch is a perfect match to the plastic frames that hold the rear slat armor. However the larger locating hole in the rear for the towing knuckle is big enough to drive a bus through and has to be filled, if you don't do this it WILL be very visible.... What were they thinking?

Once again you can see a cross selection of Tamiya and Trumpeter parts used.
The spare Trumpeter track links are to small when compared to BOTH Tamiya and Trumpeter issued tracks, Tamiya's being much closer. You can also just see the plate under the rear belly of the Tank, missing from Trumpeters kit I might add. The Tamiya tow hooks have nicer detail

The quality and fit of the Jerrican holder is an issue I will tackle today (given time) as once again both kits differ in detail and size. Trumpeters Jerricans are woefully inadequate when it comes to detail. I do have some AA ones so I will drag them out and look at the size and scale before choosing this item.

Anyway, it is now starting to look like I am 3/4 done, or close to anyway.

One thing that need sorting is, the underside of the turret bustle scrapes the 'resiliant' rail!
A lift (small shim) will have to be placed on the rear portion of the rim under the turret where it contacts the upper hull.

Then some fine filing/sanding and touch up before a primer coat.

Keith.
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 08:25 AM UTC
Mind boggling levels of detail. Top modelling!
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 - 12:42 AM UTC
A bit more done on the back end and a test fit of the upper slats. Camera and jerrican holder in place, (Jerricans NOT glued down).

And a large ejector pin mark to be removed from the towing point!

[/b]

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 01:31 AM UTC
I managed a couple of hours in my shed yesterday and sprayed a black primer on most of the Challenger (photo's later this evening).

Some time was spent removing the casting web between the horizontal rails of the rear left and right slat armor provided by Cromwell. These are taller than the 2008 versions supplied in the Trumpeter kit.

I have used the Tamiya rear mud flaps due to crisper detail. The tow bar locating supports on the rear have to be manipulated (bent) in order to allow the 'U' shaped rear slat armor support arms to be properly located.

At this point I am almost ready to paint the left and right hull, suspension, wheels and tracks and then I will be able to install the side armor. I feel it is important that the side blocks be installed first so that the remainder of the rear (including the slats) can be lined up!

The wonderful 1/72nd scale Challenger TES has been an inspiration for me and I only hope I can do this beast justice........ Thankfully mine will never be placed anywhere close to his as it would surely put my effort to shame

I need to find some pictures of the power cords for the 'Enforcer' weapons station but that can wait til the very end...

Keith.

Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 10:20 AM UTC
As promised, a couple of shots of the beast in Black primer.

I have a coat of Polly Scale Italian Dark Olive Green applied as a base coat (good for shadows and depth) and the rubber part of the wheels painted with Polly Scale, SC Black.

A point to note here as the newer outer wheels supplied by Trumpeter are a different thickness than the older ones, are they a copy of an available aftermarket set perhaps?

The beastie will now sit for a few days before adding anymore paint.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 12:14 AM UTC
Well yesterday I managed to get some coats of different color paint on my Challenger. Using some old Floquil 'Polly S' I chose a British Brown Drab and a Medium Green, I then added a little Yellow to the medium Green and over sprayed the centers of the armor blocks.
A small amount of the same was added to parts of the hull and wheels.

Next I hand painted a thin base coat of Isreali Khaki over the areas covered by the Barracuda Camo net. This will then be highlighted with different sand colors (trying to represent shade and wear)..

The tracks will be painted and put in place and then the side armor. After that work on the back will begin (cable reel, Jerricans, pole marker etc.).

That's all until the end of the week. I really am looking forward to finishing this beast.

I hope you like this conversion, it really is worth the effort.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 01:41 AM UTC
Added the side Armour and rear skirt plate. Just over half way done, the two chaps in the turret are placed and not affixed.

GPMG, optics guard and power cables to be added to the weapons station, cable reel, slat armour, antennas and weathering yet to be done.

Keith
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 02:33 AM UTC
keith great build the pic don't do it justic i lucky to have seen it in person
dave
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 01:06 PM UTC
Thanks Dave, nice to see you at the AMPS meeeting Wed. night....

[b]Got the lights and turn indicators painted today along with the rear light guards affixed in place.

Sorted out the GPMG for the weapons station.... ** POINT TO NOTE ** most model companies seem to mould (Spelling) the carrying handle in the vertical position and this is 'wrong'.
The handle is also the locking handle for the barrel lock. it should be off at a 45 Deg angle to the right when viewed from the rear.
If it is vertical it is unlocked, the barrel can be removed or even fall off if the weapon is fired.

Anyway just one of those details I think are important.

More tomorrow.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 01:05 PM UTC
A little more accomplished today.... Rear Armor in place but I still have to add the slat retaining bolts.
Not an exact match between Trumpeter's rear parts and Cromwell's side pieces but with a little tweaking it sorted itself out.

The Enforcer remote is nearly done and I hope to get it finished next weekend.
A couple of pictures to view but they are from my cell phone so please excuse the quality.

And this one showing a slightly earlier version, minus the Enforcer and Barracuda nets. The coated optics clearly showing 'Pink/Red' color.

That's all for today.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 12:55 AM UTC
Well I did manage to get the slat armor attached but not the front fire extinguishers, nor the wire cutter.
The optics grill cover for the Enforcer and lenses for the driving lights have yet to be added.
Then it is down to power cords (Enforcer) detail painting, weathering and a couple of crew members.

I do have a small dio in mind but more on that later.

And I just love this well worn Challenger 2 shown in this picture, great for the modeller!.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 12:19 AM UTC
Something that is missing on the kit is the retaining bolt plates for the slat armor? They are not shown on the Artwork either.

The trumpeter kit would just have you attach the armour to the frames behind and visually you can see the 'nub' ends between the slats... I added the plates and bolt heads yesterday (pictures later this evening). If you use Accurate Armour's photo etch and resin update set, they are both included.

I hope to get some more done today including the Fire extinguishers and power cables for the Enforcer.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 02:05 AM UTC
Here is a picture of the slat armor bolt retaining plates.

And after a bit of paint...

Yesterday I added the tow cables, rear distance indicator (rod with White ball.
A point to note here is, very few actually paint the cables as it tends to cover up problems even though they do stand out when cleaned up.
Of course they get grimy due to the location and some units cover them with cloth for protection...

The same can be said for the Red fire extinguishers, they also can be found in covers as they stand out far too boldly on the front wings.

A few more pictures to end the day, hopefully I will start on painting the optics and adding the fire extiguishers.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 12:59 AM UTC
The saga continued yesterday, this is either a labor of love or a pain in the rear I guess.

I painted the optics with a light coat of clear Red due to the Pink/Red hues of the real beast and then targeted the Barracuda net.

A light patchy spray of US. Spec Tan, followed by British Gulf War Light Stone. Finished off with a light drybrush of Russian Armor Yellow!

Some areas along the hull and wheels were dusted with Tan and Earth. Pigments and powders will be done last, this is 'NOT' a parade vehicle but depicting one in deployment use.....

I still have the power cables to add to the Enforcer, the width markers (front) and the Fire Extinguishers to do..

Keith.
rogerjo1
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 950 posts
Armorama: 905 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 06:27 AM UTC
Very nice kit, i have this one to that i will build in the future, what coulor have you use on the barracuda camonet?
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 01:24 AM UTC
The base color is Israeli Khaki, followed by a light patchy spray of US. Spec Tan, followed by British Gulf War Light Stone. Finished off with a light drybrush of Russian Armor Yellow!

I will go back and tone it down a little and do a small amount of under shadow painting of dark NATO Green (Tamiya).

Some of the resin net high points are missing and you could paint these areas if you like, simulating the small holes in the net.

However these net panels do have a backing and it depends on the color of the backing...

Keith.
Firecap4
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 309 posts
Armorama: 288 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 02:35 PM UTC
Looking good, Keith; I've been in touch with Gordon and will be ordering my own conversion this weekend...trying to decide if I want to do the 2008 or 2009 variant.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 04:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good, Keith; I've been in touch with Gordon and will be ordering my own conversion this weekend...trying to decide if I want to do the 2008 or 2009 variant.

Good for you and I hope you enjoy working with it as much as I have.

Now all I need, is to do a Leopard >

A Danish one would be neat

Keith.
Firecap4
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 309 posts
Armorama: 288 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 09:55 AM UTC
[quoteGood for you and I hope you enjoy working with it as much as I have.

Now all I need, is to do a Leopard >

A Danish one would be neat

Keith.[/quote]

I would think with the various sets that have been done for the Leo 2A6CAN that it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to take it a bit farther and add the bits necessary for a conversion set to do the Danish variant.....