_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
REVIEW
AK interactive Winter Techniques
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 01:26 PM UTC
Rick Cooper shares another view of the Winter Techniques DVD from AK interactive.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 04:32 PM UTC
I have this in my DVD library, but haven't had a chance to crack it open and watch it yet. Really looking forward to it though
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 609 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 11:01 PM UTC
Rick mentions that all sorts of products are presented during the DVD, but how much of the focus is on enamels vs. acrylics? I don't spray enamels, so the more the DVD highlights acrylic techniques the more interesting (to me).
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 11:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rick mentions that all sorts of products are presented during the DVD, but how much of the focus is on enamels vs. acrylics? I don't spray enamels, so the more the DVD highlights acrylic techniques the more interesting (to me).

basecoats are all acrylic, but i guess weathering such as oils, and the ak products e.t.c on any buld are gonna be enamel or oil based, but the latter techniques are more brushwork anyway so i guess most of the weathering does not apply to airbrush
BillGorm
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 609 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 02:13 AM UTC
Oh, I agree - once you get beyond the base coat and camo you're talking about non-AB work (or at least steps that don't require an AB). But when I'm following a SBS I prefer to start from the same place so that I can gauge how close I've come to my target.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 07:16 AM UTC
Bill, you want to have your base well-sealed with an acrylic clear coat. Mineral spirits are the base for most MIG-type filters and pre-fab washes, so you shouldn't get nervous about using them. Oils generally make for a better wash or overlay IMO.

My one complaint with these discs is the PAL format: I don't always want to watch on a computer, and don't understand why it's so much effort to get them formatted to NTSC standards.
collin26
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 07:53 AM UTC
Bill,
I want to apologize for the inconvenience of the PAL - NTSC issue. The issue is that the master is recorded in a format that makes a simple conversion.....well....not so simple. I will let you know as soon as this has been resolved as we are working on it currently. Soon each title will be available in both formats with subtitles.
 _GOTOTOP