_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
How to make exhaust fumes?
Buck_Compton
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 11:15 PM UTC
Hey Guys,

As yiou might have noticed I'm working on a PZH2000NL and the canadian Leopard. Now I need to make exhaust fumes on both. I have seen some very realistic ones around here being made with black Pigment/Soot. But im not sure how to apply that. Is there any one who can help me??

Cheers Remi
drumthumper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 227 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 11:29 PM UTC
Remi,
Like using most pigments, it is a very simple method. Just take a medium-soft brush, usually a round, or cotton bud and begin to dab the pigment in the area you want the effect. I usually load up the brush and dab the stuff on using a stabbing motion.The heavier you stab, the more prominent the pigment becomes. Any area you need to clean up just simply brush away with a clean brush. It is that random application that looks most realistic.

Kirchoff
Buck_Compton
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 11:34 PM UTC
Thnx Mike,

I do not need to prrepare the soil im planning to work on at all? It just brushing it on using your technique?

Cheers Remi
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 11:18 AM UTC
If by "fumes" you mean the staining that happens near exhausts (especially of diesels) then Mike is right, use the black pigments, plus other colours as needed, to get the effect you want.

If by "prrepare the soil im planning to work on " you mean do you need to prepare the surface in advance of adding the pigments, the anwser is no, not really. The pigments stick better to matte surfaces as opposed to gloss surfaces, so it is usual to apply the pigments after you have added decals and then matte coated the vehicle. The pigments generally are amongst the last things you do to the model. Some people do add them and then matte coat them afterwards because the pigments are not permanent. Like dust, you can wipe them off if you work at it, but overcoating changes the colour of the pigments and will change them from dead flat to however flat your varnish happens to be.

HTH

Paul
Buck_Compton
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 11:24 AM UTC
i've been using the stabbing technique for a couple of times and it has set of for a little bit now... blackening the surface but not the effect i was hoping for...

cheers Remi
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 11:32 AM UTC
You could try Model Master's non-buffing ab exhaust. I get decent results using it.
Shift911
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 12:03 PM UTC
You could always do it by going about how it happens on real vehicles. Use an airbrush and strait black, or thinned pigment. I use pigments too but it might be difficult to get that natural "flow" look to it.
xxleftbehindxx
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 01:25 PM UTC
youv probs finished the model now buuut ima give a bit of advice anyway...

get an H pencil and a razor blade and scratch it down the lead til youv got a lot of dust. literally add one drop of water and mix it all up and paint it on.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2011 - 03:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

youv probs finished the model now buuut ima give a bit of advice anyway...

get an H pencil and a razor blade and scratch it down the lead til youv got a lot of dust. literally add one drop of water and mix it all up and paint it on.

I think graphite powder would give off too much of a sheen to look like deposits from engine fumes.
JGriffon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2011 - 05:06 AM UTC
Remi,
As you can tell from the variety of responses, that people use multiple ways to apply exhaust stains. Well here is another that I have been using and keep returning to after 30 years of use. I dry brush "black toner powder" from a copying machine or computer printer, using a paint brush, pipe cleaner, or Q-tip.
Joe
 _GOTOTOP