_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Decals and mg mounts for guntrucks
spacejunkie
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 02:41 PM UTC
Hello,
first time poster here. I've been surfing the site for a few months and really enjoy all the posts and help that everyone provides. I just started the chassis from a M16 Gun Carriage but will be using the Maxon turret on another project, which leaves me with a halftrack with no rear end. I have heard that there was some half-tracks used in the early part of the war. Does anyone have pics or links to pics of these vehicles.
Also is there a supplier for the dual .50 cal mounts that I see in some of your completed kits and supplier of decals for the different guntrucks.
I have the "Gun Trucks" book put out by squadron and it has some great pics, But please forgive my ignorance, But were some of those trucks painted flat black overall or was it green that looked black due to being wet?
I'm ex-navy, I wouldn't know.
Thanks for any replies in advance.
Bill in SLC
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 651 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 03:31 PM UTC
hey Bill,
Welcome. I can't answer your question, but I just wanted to say hello!
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 02:16 AM UTC
Welcome to the best modeling site on the web. Are you talking about using the halftrack during the Vietnam War? There were some M-16's used by the NVA . These vehicles were captured by the Viet Minh. There were no M-16's used by the NATO forces.

As far as a twin machine gun mount, I'm not aware that there is any kint for that seperately. Legends and Real models each have a Gun Truck conversion kit. I beleive the Legends one has a dual machine gun mount. You might want to check with Gunnie for any more info about the availablity of gun truck parts.

As far as the Vietnam era Gun Trucks most were painted black. flat or gloss depending on what they had in the motor pool. In the early years (1967 - 1968) most of the trucks were of course OD green or green drab. As the crews added the armor plating they gradually began to paint the armor plate black . The powers to be felt that it would be intimidating to the Enemy to paint the entire truck black. Then the crews began to name their trucks and the graphics got bolder and bolder. The art work on some of these trucks were fantastic. Besides the AFV Club M-35 A1 Gun Truck "Nancy". I have not been able to find any decals or markings. I make my own graphics or hand paint them for the different trucks that I build. There are a few Gun Truck sites on the web to get some fantastic ref. photos. One of the best in my opinion is the community Gun Truck site http://communities.msn.com/VietnamGuntrucks/_homepage.msnw? You can check out my selected site also
 _GOTOTOP