Hosted by Darren Baker
M923 truck - gun mount question
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 07:48 PM UTC
Yesterday I installed the gun mount on the cab of my M923A1 model - I modified it a bit as Italeri parts were not quite accurate. I realized however that I don't know how to paint it. The truck will be a Marines vehicle in standard 3-color NATO camouflage. Should the gun mount and all its mounting parts also be camouflaged, or should it be overall forest green? All photos I have of M939 series trucks with machine gun mounts are taken from the distance and it is impossible to tell if the gun mount parts are camouflaged or not.

Is the gun mount an option that can be installed to any M939 type truck? I know that front post support bracket is installed to the cab near the right rear-view mirror using four screws. I checked all the photos I have that show this area (all of trucks without the gun mount) and none of these trucks had any screw holes there... Does it mean that the truck has to be specially modified/prepared for the installation of the gun mount?

I guess that if the gun mount is optional to all trucks and is delivered separately, than it would probably be overall forest green. But if it is always delivered with a particular truck, than it can be camouflaged with this truck. What is true?...

Rgds,
Pawel
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 01:31 AM UTC
I would wait for Rob to give the final word, but in the Nat Guard the gun rings for both the M923's and the HEMMT's came as kits you could (supposedly) put on any vehicle in the family. And the mounts we had came in plain forest green for our 3-tone NATO cammo scheme.

But wait for Rob to weigh in.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 02:53 AM UTC
Thanks for info Jacques!
Rob already confirmed that those gun mounts are overall forest green. It will make painting a bit easier!

Rgds,
Pawel
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 07:07 PM UTC
I just found a few photos of the gun mount on M923A1 truck. It is extremely valuable find as these photos show one of the USMC trucks that were used in Iraq in 1991 during Operation Provide Comfort - and I'm building my model as exactly one of these trucks!

Take a look at photos below. They show clearly that the gun mount is indeed overall green, but not forest green in this case. It looks to me like typical olive drab color. I will use Tamiya OD for this in my model.

Rgds,
Pawel
 _GOTOTOP