_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
m18 hellcat during battle of the bulge
youpey
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 11:38 AM UTC
I am struggling to find any pictures of an m18 hellcat during the battle of the bulge and i want to build a diorama where the hellcat is the feature of it. i am hoping someone can give me a hand on this

1. did the m18 hellcats during this battle have the white paint to help with the winter colors.
2. are there any specific hellcat's that made it through the battle that i can get decals for.

i actually have a ton of questions to be able to recreate an accurate dio, but i more hoping that someone has a link with great information and good pictures regarding a hellcat during the battle of the bulge
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 03:42 PM UTC
Check out the many videos on youtube:
this one is my favorite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2mLjQHfIAk&feature=related

HTH

snowgoon81
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 04:26 PM UTC
I'm pretty sure there was a company which ended up surrounded in Bastogne with the 101. I've read a couple things on them, basically a mobile fire brigade. Tomorrow I'll see if I can dig up anything for you. I would guess this company didn't have winter camo....since it hadn't snowed by the time they were surrounded. They may have been from the 10th AD, like I said I'll see what else I can find if I have the time.
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 08:27 PM UTC
Hello Mike,

There was in the french scale modelling Steel Masters a diorama on a Hellcat in the Ardennes. You will find in it references and pictures. The diorama is really good.
Here is the link : http://steelmasters.histoireetcollections.com/publication/1671/steelmasters-hors-serie-n-29.html
Hope this help
Julien
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 11:34 PM UTC
AFAIK, the 705th TD Battalion, equipped with Hellcats, supported the 101st Airborne Division during the defense of Bastogne.

Here's a M18 belonging to the 2nd Armored Division near Fisenne, Belgium (January 1945) :

HTH

Frenchy
discordian
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 239 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 02:08 PM UTC
I'm nearly done with AFV club's Hellcat and was thinking of finishing it as in winter use...
In the above picture it looks like the barrel is wrapped and there is a white mantlet cover...
thoughts?
Also - were there any battles where an M18 would have gotten a winter whitewash?

I kind of feel like learning a new technique.
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 02:38 PM UTC
In the Concord book : "US tank battles in Germany" there's a number of pictures of them in whitewash and an excerpt " the official winter camouflage ordered by the 12th Army Group which suggested leaving bands of olive drab to break-up the overall whitewash finish." So some pics show full whitewash to partial - broken.
discordian
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 01:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In the Concord book : "US tank battles in Germany" there's a number of pictures of them in whitewash and an excerpt " the official winter camouflage ordered by the 12th Army Group which suggested leaving bands of olive drab to break-up the overall whitewash finish." So some pics show full whitewash to partial - broken.

cool, thanks.
Expensive little book, there. I ran to grab off Amazon or eBay it but kind of choked on the price.
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 06:03 AM UTC
Ya, I usually hunt for them on sale. I don't like to pay more then $12 including S/H. maybe google search for M18 Hellcat pic or something along those lines. I'll try to snap a pic of the book to give you an idea if it's worth it to you. BRB

discordian
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 07:33 AM UTC
That bottom shot is perfect!

That photo - can you tell from if the tools are painted over? Or just teh attachment points?

Thanks so much!
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 01:56 PM UTC
I would say from the look of it that it was whitewashed over and then mostly worn off with some specs here and there. Look forward to your paint job now
discordian
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 12:01 AM UTC
I'll be sure to post it. I'm going to try a technique I read in FSM - using white artist pastels and water.
I'm just wrapping up the detail painting now so a few more steps.
It's an OOB build, so no extras.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 01:58 AM UTC
Hey Scott You shouldn't go wrong with artists pastels. They are quite forgiving in not being of a super permanent nature, and you can really get that 'washed out' look within the white itself.
The barrel in Frenchy's photo would probably have been just white bed sheets and also upon the rotor shield. The Allies scrambled for whatever they could once the snow fell in late December.
Brad
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

cool, thanks.
Expensive little book, there. I ran to grab off Amazon or eBay it but kind of choked on the price.

Great Models sells them for around 15 bucks, but it looks as though its out of print. OOP can really drive the price up, I'm a Civil War nut and there was a book about the 2nd day at Gettysburg, original printing run was under 2000 copies, it took the around three years to sell but now if you are lucky enough to find one on Ebay it can be upwards of 900 dollars, original price was 50.
 _GOTOTOP