_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Using DML base kit for Miniarm conversion
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 03:45 AM UTC
Hi all,

Well for some time now I"ve been on the hunt for a new T-90 kit, and after looking around, I just today bit the bullet and got the Miniarm T-90A Turret m2004, and T-90 m1992, T-90S, T-90A, T-90"Bichma" Conversion set, which is the front hull part. I originally was going to try and correct the old Kirin T-90, but its just way too much work, it would have been better to just scratchbuild a turret from begining.

In any case, I just ordered the two from Greatmodels, and was wondering if I have to use the Tamiya kit as a base model, or whether it would be too difficult/correct to make it work with a DML T-72G/M kit that I was originally planing to use. If they're close, I'd rather try to use what I have, and not have to get another kit.
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 06:46 AM UTC
I think Miniarm parts were made to be used exclusively on Tamiya's T-72 and maybe Trumpeter/Mini Hobby's motorized copy, remember that Tamiya's kit was made using accurate measurements, and DML's T-72 were made based only on photos, so there will be some dimmensional issues like Dragon's upper hull being 3 mm shorter in front of the turret, so I can't assure Miniarm parts will fit properly the DML/Zvezda/Revell kit. Best regards.

José.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 07:08 AM UTC
I totally agree with Josè

You could try but it would be a mission almost impossible
It would be better scratch the turret

Furthermore I've NEVER seen in the model forums (also the eastern model forums) anyone who did a job like that

That might mean something...

cheers
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 09:43 AM UTC
Frankly if you have shelled out all the cash on those beautiful conversions why use them on a totally crap base kit. The DML kits are useless, the plastic is horrid, the build and fit is troublesome and the details are a mix of simplified/incorrect.

The Tamiya kit isnt perfect, but its a far better base kit and as soon as you have your hands on it and start building it, you'll wish you'd thrown away those DML kits sooner. My suggestion-pick up a Tamiya kit, throw together one of the DML kits and use the DML model to practice the painting.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 10:32 AM UTC
please blog this one. I may have the money to attempt the same build soon and want to see what I'll be getting in to.
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 - 02:54 AM UTC
Damn, I was afraid everyone was going to say that, but I'll go with your advice. I'll start looking out for a reasonably priced Tamiya T-72.

Now what to do with that kirin T-90 conversion?

As for the wheels, would it be suitable to use the Tamiya (or other) wheels, or is it necessary to go for the equally expensive Miniarm wheels? Can't see from pictures, but aren't the Tamiya/DML/Revell all 6 spoke as well? Anything cheaper maybe from SPDesigns that would fit the bill?
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 - 03:24 AM UTC
Use Miniarm wheels. The 6 spoke pattern on the DML wheels does not look right, at least to me. To my knowledge all the t-90s have the new wheel pattern.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 - 05:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Damn, I was afraid everyone was going to say that, but I'll go with your advice. I'll start looking out for a reasonably priced Tamiya T-72.

Now what to do with that kirin T-90 conversion?

Bundle the Kirin conversion with one of the DML 72's and stick it on ebay. I did that and got fairly good money for the pair. The kirin conversion is fairly rare and theres plenty of modelers out there who dont mind so much about the accuracy and will pay money for it!

As to the wheels, again I can really only suggest the pricey miniarm wheels. The DML wheels look wrong. The miniarm wheels cost but they are very high quality.
 _GOTOTOP