_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Looking for 50 cal anti-aircraft sights
RCDtanker
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 06:31 AM UTC
First post to this site, what a a lot to access.

I'm looking to buy or build a 50 Cal anti-aircraft site for a Lynx command and control vehicle, any ideas?

RCDtanker
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 06:41 AM UTC
Accurate Armour will sell you the PE separately from their Staghound AA conversion.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 07:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Accurate Armour will sell you the PE separately from their Staghound AA conversion.

Unfortunately, the AA sights from a Staghound are nothing like those on the Lynx CCR. Your best bet is to first look for the Hobby Boss (??) resin kit & see if the sights are included, then see if the company will sell you the parts eparately.

Barring that, you will have to look at some of the available ring & bead sights for AA guns & try to find one that looks to be the right diameter & detail.

Lastly, you could make one from fine copper wire & solder, but that way lies insanity...

Paul
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 11:54 AM UTC
Close Paul, Hobby Fan did the Lynx, but I don't think it had any p.e. I think Graeme used the center part of a circular grill when he did his in the Osprey book. I wonder if we'll ever see one in plastic?

Jim
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 01:19 PM UTC
Contact Accurate Armour and purchase the PE fret from their M114A1 C&R ....it has a nice ring sight.

I have used one on my .50 Cal for my Canadian Centurion Mk.11LR and it worked out very well.....I plan to use my other one on a Lynx too.
RCDtanker
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 - 06:10 AM UTC
Jim was right, it's the Hobby Fan kit and no it didn't come with any P.E. I have the Graeme book and he just used a the outer diameter with nothing in between. I tried the insanity route, it was a short drive and nearly went HULK on the thing. Tanks for the effort guys.

RCDtanker
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 08:52 AM UTC
Well, my next suggestion would be to look for PE for 40mm Bofors or 20mm Oerlikons especially in Naval mounts and see if anything looks close.

Another option is to look for sights for WWI aircraft. These frequently came with rings & beads. You can buy a 1/24 sight as possibly a better size fit for an AFV rather than a 1/32 aircraft sight, which would be proporationately smaller.

Fotocut has a number of PE sights for WW I aircraft in a number of sizes.

http://data3.primeportal.net/apc/dan_hay/lynx/images/lynx_017_of_276.jpg

If you look at this image, you can see that even a PE part will need some work to flatten the underside. Don't forget the ring & bead sight under the mount as well.

HTH

Paul
RCDtanker
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 03:52 AM UTC
Thanks Paul,
I saw a PE set at BuffCon on the weekend with something real close to what I need but I couldn't part with the $30 bucks for just the one piece. The picture you attached looks familiar, I have close to about a hundred shots of the very same vehicle. I've already scratch built the bead site under the mount, it turned out nice, I will post some shots if I can figure it out.

John
 _GOTOTOP