_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
German Markings
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 01:43 PM UTC
Well have a killer question did the Germans use black turret numbers outlined in yellow in the war.
I am doing Panzer III for campaign Barb and was wondering can't find not one on Archer dry transfer site that used this scheme is this just a Dragon thing or what? Thinking of 3rd panzer Division that served in central Russia during this campaign.
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Armorama: 566 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2003 - 07:03 AM UTC
I don't think that they used this color combination... for what it's worth, the only color combo's that I can recall are:

Red / white outline
Black / white outline
Blue / yellow outline
Blue / white outline
Yellow / white outline
Yellow / black outline

The pics of 3rd Pz Div. of this time period are all black and white photos - It would be easy to see how Dragon came up with the Black / Yellow scheme, as Blue would look pretty "black" in black and white photos.... Of course, I'm no expert on this so anybody can feel free to correct me on this.

I am kinda interested in this question as well ......
Jeff
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2003 - 11:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't think that they used this color combination... for what it's worth, the only color combo's that I can recall are:

Red / white outline
Black / white outline
Blue / yellow outline
Blue / white outline
Yellow / white outline
Yellow / black outline

The pics of 3rd Pz Div. of this time period are all black and white photos - It would be easy to see how Dragon came up with the Black / Yellow scheme, as Blue would look pretty "black" in black and white photos.... Of course, I'm no expert on this so anybody can feel free to correct me on this.

I am kinda interested in this question as well ......
Jeff

Is kind of weird wonder if decals have faded?
Well I applied them anyway for now. Until I get some good reference stuff all the books I have looked at use the schemes you mentioned.
Thanks for the reply
 _GOTOTOP