_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Finished Tamiya T-55 (lots of pics)
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 06:32 AM UTC
Well, after many months of construction, and a very lazy painting process, I'm calling this one done. Took me three months to build, and a relatively short
time to paint, which shows, as it got very sloppy. Oh well, learned a lot in the process, which I'll apply to the next one.
This one is a Tamiya T-55 with a basic Voyager PE update set (small details, and fuel drums in rear are all PE). Modelpoint antenna, RB barell, and Fruil tracks.
Many small nuts and bolts, fuel lines, fenders and brackets built in wine bottle foil and styrene.

All comments welcome. Its become clear to me that I really need to start taking more care in painting. I just got way too lazy after a long build.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 06:48 AM UTC
The base and the model both, very realistic. It looks like you could cool your feat in the water. Guess I'm going to have to invest in more detailing supplies to keep up with modellers like you.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 10:22 AM UTC
Very impressive!

This your work is really great, congrats indeed!! I like a lot your paint job, the diorama and the figure painting. I hope to do a work like this with my (unfortunately long lasting) JNA T-55

A little flaw in my VERY humble opinion are the tow cables. They seems to have a strange distortion. Maybe I know what was the problem. Probably you did more realistic cables with copper wire, but in Tamiya kit is very difficult (or almost impossible) put copper tow cables in the right position
Me too I tried to do them on my kit, but eventually I used strings to depict them.

Anyway, as I said, that's just a tiny flaw. Your work is great

What paints did you use for the camo?
Did you use the primer?
What figure set did you utilize?
Stunning tree and vegeatation! How did you do them? What about the water?
Is it a dio which depict a Red Army practice during the late 70 early 80?

I'm sorry for the too long list of questions
But i'm very curious to know how did you get this stunning result !

Cheers
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 03:54 AM UTC
Hi,

Thanks very much for your feedback, including that of the cables. I will see whether i can live with it, or whether or not to do what you did and replace them with a string item.

For your questions:

Due to the fact that there was resin, plastic, metal, foil, wire, and other materials on the tank, I did prime it using Mr. Surfacer 1000 spray primer in a light gray colour.

The paint is a custom mix from Tamiya acrylics, I really wish I could give you the specifics, but I cannot recall them. I started off with a base coat dark green, and added blues and blacks for the dark green, then added yellows for the lighter camo. After completed, a dark green acrylic filter was applied, then chipping, scratches, followed by a oil dot filter, then raw umber wash.

One of the figures (in blue uniform) is an Alpine Russian Tanker, and the second I had in my spares box that I obtained years ago, and have no idea of the manufacturer. Both were painted with Vallejo.

The dio base is completely scratch built. The contours were built up using insulation foam, sanded smooth, and a layer of celluclay (tinted a dark brown) applied over it, then sprinkled with dirt and small rocks from outside. The part of the river was left as is, and the 'dry' parts are a mixture of mig pigments and chalk pastel. The river are three layers of Envirotex resin poured one over the other. The trees are also scratch built; I went to a arts and crafts store, and found some 'dry vegetation' that is used in flower arrangements. I took a small piece of wood that I found outside and drilled holes all over it. Into these holes I inserted the dry vegetation that I bought. I then sprayed it with spray glue, and sprinkled oregano (on one tree), and another herb on the second tree. When completely dry, they were spray painted with various shades of Tamiya green acrylics.

Good luck on your own T-55. My father served in JNA, and the dio is inspired by a photo that he showed me. Unfortunately I do not have a scan of it to post
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 05:45 AM UTC
This is some fantastic work. The weathering on the tank is excellent, especially around the fenders, exhaust and tracks. The base is great aswell, sloping down into the water- nice stuff.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 06:37 AM UTC
Thanks for your kind and very clesr explanation

I hope to see soon another work from you

Cheers and congrats again
rolf
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 07:20 AM UTC
Great job. Love the ground work. The Infantry guy is great. I have the same figure, a Wolf/Hornet fig in white metal. Mine is all painted, just waiting for a diorama to put him on. Again great job.

Roy
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 12:13 PM UTC
Yes, the Hornet figure is beautiful in the simplicity of its pose.

Do you by any chance have any pics of yours painted up? I really wish I could have done mine more justice.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 01:04 PM UTC
your paint and weathering looks good. I don't see what your disappointed about. Those figures are very well done

ground work and esp. the water effect is top shelf with the leaves in it like that too

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 05:39 PM UTC
Wow, all I can say is that I wish my work turned out that well when I started getting lazy That is a great little diorama, everything works in harmony to really convey the feeling of the environment and situation. Makes one feel that they can walk right into that dio and instantly become part of it The only thing that I can see that is off is the way the soldier walking along the water's edge is holding his assualt rifle. It looks a little unnatural, like it's not quite balanced or something.
rolf
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 06:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, the Hornet figure is beautiful in the simplicity of its pose.

Do you by any chance have any pics of yours painted up? I really wish I could have done mine more justice.

Not off hand but I can take a few. Maybe tomorrow night after work.

Roy
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 03:54 AM UTC
Feel free to post up. This was my first effort trying to use Vallejo acrylics, so there's a way to go for me to learn the acrylic layering methodology.
rolf
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 04:04 AM UTC
Well here is my figure as promised (a little late). I still plan on doing some more work on his hands and face as I want to cammo them. Maybe use some green and black paint.

Roy
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2011 - 03:38 AM UTC
I like it; definitely the more subtle nuances are brought out. I thought mine may be a bit too stark with the camo patches being in an off white.
 _GOTOTOP