Hosted by Darren Baker
10 ton tractor painting
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 02:13 PM UTC
Animal or Gunny..... I'm finishing up (finally) my M123. Is the vehicle painted OD everywhere or would the underbody be a different color? Wheel hubs, engine areas and cabs? Any reference material on color ing? The kit had no guides. I am sure I could wing it, just looking for a little more accuracy.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 02:59 PM UTC
Most of the 123's I have seen have been OD or Green Drab. The entire truck is the same color. The engine with the exception of the rubber parts(hoses wires etc). Some times you would find a truck with body parts that were OD and green drab. Some parts have been replaced with old scrounged parts etc. I painted my 123 OD all over. Can't wait to see this beast..
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2003 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Most of the 123's I have seen have been OD or Green Drab. The entire truck is the same color. The engine with the exception of the rubber parts(hoses wires etc). Some times you would find a truck with body parts that were OD and green drab. Some parts have been replaced with old scrounged parts etc. I painted my 123 OD all over. Can't wait to see this beast..

Ditto what Animal wrote!

Gunnie
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2003 - 04:34 AM UTC
At Ft Hood in the 70's (I still shudder to think of disco!), it was not uncommon to see M123s running without trailers on the motor pool roads. I onloy saw one that was still in OD, and that was the semi-gloss finish with stars and white serial numbers/bumper markings.

All of the others were finished in either the four color temperate scheme or the four color desert scheme, depending on what brigade their parent battalion was assigned to. The BDE assignment (CAPSTONE) served to clue the subordinate units on what parts of the world they could reasonably anticipate being deployed to.

I painted my TW M123 in flat OD just to cover the resin, and have not gone back to it since. The lack of trailer has a lot to do with it, and I appreciate Animal's comments on how to locate such an item.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2003 - 06:20 AM UTC
Thanks for the great input guys. I'm looking at a Viet Nam era vehicle so I'll probably go green drab with some OD highlights and brown drab or faded od seats. I blackened and metalliced the engine/transmission, so an overspray with the OD should look real good. I'll pop you a few pictures animal. All I've done picture wise was put all the subassemblies together and snapa couple of pics so everything is pure resin. The kit was quite complete and detailed, the only thing I've added was radiator hoses and some fan belts (which can't be seen)
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2003 - 07:44 AM UTC
Can't wait to see....
 _GOTOTOP