_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman T54E1 Tracks
ianclasper
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 07:43 AM UTC
I have run into a wall with problem while painting my Panda Plastic T54E1 tracks.

Question is, what are the link sections made of ?
I know that the Chevrons are steel, and after use on roads are seen to be silver, however what about the rest o the link, was this painted steel, or was a rubber link molded around the steel chevron casting ?

Thanks

Ian Clasper
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 08:14 AM UTC
Ian, these tracks were all steel, no rubber on them anywhere. HTH!

Cheers!
Stefan
ianclasper
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 227 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 12:16 PM UTC
Now that I know that these links were Steel, the question is now, what colour should they be ?

I guess O/D for starters, whoever I suspect that shades of rust would soon take over areas on the outside of the tracks that are not in contact with the continued contact with the ground.

Now how about the inside of the tracks that are in contact with the running wheels, would these start off as O/D or is there another colour for this area ?

I know that wear and tear will make short work of any paint in these areas, however I would like to know were to start.

Ian Clasper
NormSon
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 181 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 12:43 PM UTC
No OD, tracks were not painted, and if they had been, the paint would be worn off in the first 1/4 mile of use.

These tracks should be mostly steel, with mud of choice worn into all low spots and deep corners. Dark steel, with shiny highlights on high wear spots.

I will now upset a lot of folks out there; very little rust. Any rust would be worn off as soon as the tracks ran through any dust and dirt. A very small amount might form on tracks as they sit overnight in dampness, but not much. The most rust that would form on Sherman tracks would be on the outside of the teeth, where they don't rub on any of the wheels or tires. Anyplace on the track that will come into contact with tires, wheels, or dirt will soon be worn shiny. The wheels would also show bare steel where they are in contact with the tracks. Edges of drive teeth, smooth track surfaces on idlers and return rollers, and metal edges next to the tires on the road wheels would all be steel, too. A number 2 lead pencil works really well for these places.

Look for a construction sight locally where a bulldozer is in action. Not one that has been sitting, but one that is being used. Look at the tracks, maybe take some pictures. Not much rust if they are being used, only if they sit for a long time. Lots of dirt and dust, though.
Norm Samuelson
 _GOTOTOP