_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tips doing zimm with Milliput?
Octo
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 09:30 PM UTC
Hello,

I've recently begun to attempt DIY zimm using milliput, and I'm not completely satisfied with the results. First off I'm finding it next to impossible to spread the stuff with anything but my fingers. While I've been able to achieve a pretty nice scale thickness, it's not a very even spread which leads to the next problem. While I don't get a "spill over" between the vertical rows I get something that sorta looks like it, which is a result of the uneven thickness of the milliput itself.

So essentially my question is for those that have had experience using milliput for zimm, how did you spread it on to the plastic, and how did you achieve a relatively even spread?

Thanks for looking, and sharing any tips you might have.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 12:06 AM UTC
I used millput when I did my Tiger, and was very satisfied with the results. It is a slow process, but can be very effective. I worked in small patches, and found a little goes a long way. To spread it, I would first push it out on the model with my fingers, then came the slow part, using a wet round tooth pick, I would spread and thin it by rolling the tooth pick. I was able to push and spread it with the tooth pick in places, put always followed up by rolling the tooth pic over it to ensure a thin flat coat. Then I used a small screw driver to form the pattern.

They key is to use wet fingers and a wet tooth pick, and patience.

Good luck with it.

Octo
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 12:25 AM UTC
Hey Kevin thanks for the reply,

I have yet to commit to actually putting anything on the kit yet. I've just been practicing on rectangles of stock sheet styrene, and indeed you are correct about a little going a long way. I've been using a brass thumbscrew thingy I found at the local home supply store, as well as a venetian blind gear for the broader turret pattern on a tiger 1.

It could be the thumbscrew thing I'm using, as it just seems any unevenness in the putty shows up rather obviously in the zimm pattern, while it's not as obvious with the venetian blind gear. I'm well aware of the screwdriver technique, I was just hoping to avoid that rather tedious approach.

Tonight I will test out your toothpick technique with both my thumbscrew, and a screwdriver, thanks for the tip!
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 03:30 AM UTC
I use the wifes rolling pin it thins the milliput right out then cut roughly to size dampen the model then apply and trim.I use the connector from a coaxel cable to make the pattern.
hogger99
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 03:45 AM UTC
The best way to use milliput as zimmerit is to roll it out in a thin sheet to the desired thickness, roughen up the area with sandpaper & apply the thin sheet. Wait a few then apply pattern with whatever tool. Occasionaly dampen the tool to keep the milliput from sticking to it. Google ( zimmerit with milliput ) & you will find some pretty good articles & such on using it. Hope this helps.
Octo
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 10:29 PM UTC
Thanks for all the helpful replies guys!

I never thought to roll it out before I applied it, that sounds like the best solution to my problem. I'll give it a try and report the results.
 _GOTOTOP