_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Cromwells in Korea
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 767 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 02:50 AM UTC
Are there any major external differences between the Cromwells used in Korea and the Cromwell Tamiya makes in 1/35th? If so, what would they be?

Thanks,
Bret
Kharkov
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 03:59 AM UTC

Check Accurate Armour's site, they do lots of late war Cromwel updates.

I think for a Korean version you will need the wider tracks and all the new upper hull parts.

Why they used Cromwells in Korea is beyond me tbh
bigmal
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 211 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 07:01 AM UTC
Every photo i have seen shows them with turret side bins which means they have the `F` type hull.
This hull has two side opening hatches for driver and co-driver, and a different engine deck layout to the kit, although this is only spotted by the rivet counter as the different engine decks all look the same at a glance.
Accurate Armour do the necessary conversion kits and they are easy to add to the Tamiya kit
Regards

MALCOLM
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 10:22 AM UTC
You need a Cromwell Mk. VII with an F Type hull, turret stowage boxes, and wide, 15 inch tracks. Tamiya's is a Mk IV with a C Type hull and narrow tracks (not even correct for Normandy, as the tanks had received the Type D engine deck by then, and most had the all-round vision cupola as well). Tamiya's version also has the early, two periscope cupola.
The upcoming Mk. VII kit from SKP is correct for Korea. They offer the wide tracks separately. If you're in a hurry, their Cromwell Mk. VIII close support variant can be converted to a 75 mm gun tank.
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 767 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 11:59 PM UTC
OK, thanks guys
 _GOTOTOP