Glueing basla wood to plastic?
tommy1drop
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 131 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 11:38 PM UTC
Hi

I am hoping that someone can give me a little advice on which glue is the best to glue a balsa wood roof that i have made to fit onto a Mini Art building.

I have tried un successfully to attach it using both poly cement and super glue to no avail, I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction on which glue(brand) would work best.

Tom
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 12:22 AM UTC
i would try a two part epoxy, or white glue, with superglue sort of like, www-s-www-s-www-s so the superglue holds it a little whilst the white glue is drying.
tommy1drop
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 12:32 AM UTC
Hi James

Thank you for the advice, I will give it a go and hopefully it will take, once again thank you.

Tom
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 01:21 AM UTC
Elmer's wood glue will hold it. The stuff dries hard as a rock.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 01:41 AM UTC
Tom, if you can find it where you live, Alines thick tacky glue is great. Its water based and holds incredibly strong, and residue is easy to peel away. In 20 plus years it has never failed me yet. I have wood that splinters trying to remove years later when trying to re=do something. It's very thick and will not run and dries clear. I have glued glass, wood plastic and metal so far. I even use it in my plaster mix for buildings, ground work and if you use too much, it's a bear to scrib or cut. I like it so much I could be an unpaid spokesperson for them.
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 01:50 AM UTC
I second Bob's post. I think it's spelled "Aleene's" though. That's what I use too. It's acrylic, so cleanup and use are simple, but it holds different materials-- porous to non-porous like balsa to styrene-- just fine. Drying clear is an added bonus! And the price is right too.
-Sean.
tommy1drop
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 05:53 AM UTC
Thanks guys, i shall be nipping out tomorrow and see what I can get to glue these pieces together, hopefully then i shall be wiser as to what to use for the next projects.

I have bought several Mini Art kits(buildings) and i have a feeling that the advice given to me will come in very useful.

Once again thank you all for your advice and help.

Tom
tommy1drop
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 04:04 AM UTC
Hi Guys

Just to let you know that i have finally got the balsa roof to bond to the Mini Art kit, I used epoxy and it is not going anywhere now....its stuck on like concrete.

Once again thanks to all that offered me advice and pointerd me in the right direction.

Tom
 _GOTOTOP