_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Maskol?
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 01:41 PM UTC
I have seen some pics of people using maskol or liquid mask when adding the non slip coating to AFV's. How easy it the making to get off? How much of a pain is it to get off? Are there other options? and what is a good place to find liquid mask or maskol, assuming that I am no where near a hobby shop. Cheers.
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 337 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 10:42 PM UTC
Maskol is extremely easy to get off - all you need to do is lift it at an edge and peel back. If doing a large area such as windcreens etc I tend to put a slip of paper in with it when applying so it gives me something to pull on.

As for getting hold of it - "Maskol suppliers" in Google throws up lots of options.

Regards,
Ken
Whiskey_1
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 10:42 PM UTC
Good places to get the stuff: internet, stands at shows, etc. They usually put the stuff under "paint" or something similar. Getting the stuff off is relatively easy. Just don't forget to check all nooks and crannies

I would advise against usins Maskol specifically. When I use Maskol I generally wear a chemical mask, to keep most of the fumes out. It smells bad and without a mask it instantly makes me wanna throw up. My bet is that there has to be something out there that is less agressive on the respiratory system.
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 03:58 AM UTC
I am planning on using the masking stuff for masking out areas prior to laying down some anti slip on a few kits. I am concerned that it is going to be more of a pain to get off from small places and such. I have heard that some are water soluble but am worried about applying water to the surface after the anti skid is applied. I am NO where near a hobby shop nor any shows that I can get to. If some one knows a good US supplier for a good brand and procedure I would love to know all. Cheers.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 04:10 AM UTC
Vallejo do a blue-coloured liquid mask, which is acrylic safe....
whereas Humbrol Maskol isn't, stinks & if you leave it too long, well, that's it!

I used Maskol dabbed on with a 3M scrubby thing to simulate heavy wear & chipping, (paint base coat, dab, then overspray). The fun started when I tried to get rid of it.

I'd also be inclined to get some 'white-tac'.... (like blue-tac, only doesn't leave residue)
Used that to cover bolts, hinges etc, as when done spraying you just get a bigger bit of -tac, & roll it over the bit on the model to lift it off.

Tamiya masking tape, 4, 6 & 10mm widths is also useful!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 01:06 AM UTC
I've used Maskol and the Vallejo liquid mask. I wouldn't use them again. For a tiny area they are ok, but for anything larger than, say, the width/length of your thumb its not great. Magic Putty is very good and I think most toy stores have it. If you really want a liquid mask though, try artists liquid mask. The Windsor & Newtown Art Masking Fluid is better than Maskol or Vallejo mask (although it smells a lot worse) and most art supply stores would have this or something similar.

Good luck,

-Karl187-
 _GOTOTOP