_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Turned 'in/out' Steer Wheels
reccymech
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2011 - 05:28 PM UTC
For what I've picked up in research I understand that the steer wheels on soft skinned, or for that matter all steer wheels on vehicles, need to be 'turned' especially for Dio's.

Err.......how does one do that?

My guess is that you attach the front wheel to the axle/brake group, then cut/saw the group off at where it joins to the front axle, on a 'bias', to allow for the steer angle. Drill a hole in both groups (wheel group & axle group), fix a metal rod to join both groups. Angle the steer then putty up the gap.

Would the above be the technique or am I wide of the mark.

Cheers in advance for any suggestions/recommendations.
Shift911
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2011 - 06:10 PM UTC
There's a few ways to do it, some more advanced members here will make all the steering linkages moveable, drilling out the individual rods and cross members and inserting pins so it moves like the real thing.

Depending on what kit you're modelling (if you wouldn't mind sharing this may be very difficult.

The simplest way I've done it is, take a very small square of plasticard and glue the left one forward on the brake assembly, and on the other side glue it in the rear, or vice versa. When you go to place the wheels, they will be angles but still parallel, and you don't have to mess with all the linkages.

reccymech
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2011 - 08:50 PM UTC
The vehicle I want the wheels 'turned' is Tamiya's 2 1/2 ton 6x6. It is to go into a diorama I want to do. The dio is a wrecker version carrying out a engine change on a M4 Sherman.

So, I want the wheels to look appropriate. I've got a already completed model to practice on.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2011 - 11:41 PM UTC
what I do is to turn wheels is to cut the axle as close to the hub/bearing/break assembly. I sand down the axle a bit more maybe 1mm, then add back in a nice solid piece of round stock styrene. Make sure the stock is 1mm plus the thickness of your saw blade, the width of the whole thing has match the original width. Then I gently sand down the stock I added to get the angle. Then I glue the hub portion on, then the wheel. Dont' forget you may have to do similar actions to the stearing rods depending on how they attach (I don't recall with the 2.5 6x6. I don't mess with the rod, the front end of the truck isn't heavy enough.
reccymech
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 12:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

what I do is to turn wheels is to cut the axle as close to the hub/bearing/break assembly. I sand down the axle a bit more maybe 1mm, then add back in a nice solid piece of round stock styrene. Make sure the stock is 1mm plus the thickness of your saw blade, the width of the whole thing has match the original width. Then I gently sand down the stock I added to get the angle. Then I glue the hub portion on, then the wheel. Dont' forget you may have to do similar actions to the stearing rods depending on how they attach (I don't recall with the 2.5 6x6. I don't mess with the rod, the front end of the truck isn't heavy enough.

Right.....sounds like a plan. I'll give it a go, I had to read it and absorb,then I 'got' it.

Cheers for the suggestions guys.
ianclasper
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 08:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The vehicle I want the wheels 'turned' is Tamiya's 2 1/2 ton 6x6. It is to go into a diorama I want to do. The dio is a wrecker version carrying out a engine change on a M4 Sherman.

So, I want the wheels to look appropriate. I've got a already completed model to practice on.

Assuming that you are working in 1/35th Scale, Resicast makes a series of replacement front axles that can be posed in any position, price is about 11 USD (7.50 Euro)

I have used the one designed for the Tamiya 2 1/2 CCKU 353 and it works well.

Ian Clasper

reccymech
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 10:57 PM UTC

Assuming that you are working in 1/35th Scale, Resicast makes a series of replacement front axles that can be posed in any position, price is about 11 USD (7.50 Euro)

I have used the one designed for the Tamiya 2 1/2 CCKU 353 and it works well.

Ian Clasper

[/quote]

Well, that will take out a few tears. I'll definitely be checking out and no doubt purchase, much to the annoyance of the 'Minister for Waging War and Finances' (read Wife).

Or should I tackle the steering dilemma and have a crack at scratch building? Nah, I can see tears
 _GOTOTOP