_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Armorama - 5 months old...
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 12:41 PM UTC
Wow...it's the 16th and we have had 500,000 page views already. That means we may hit a million for the month if this trend continues! I just want to thank everyone for their support and kind words over the last 5 months. It's really nice to see a community of users where there was just hard-drive space before. Amazing what technology can do!

As the year goes on I will be looking for more help with some of the administrative duties of the site. Believe me when we hit 1000 registered users (which probably is only a month or 2 off) I may get more emails than my poor little fingers can respond to. So in that eventuality I am trying to gear up for allowing authorized users certain access to the admin functions of the site. There are a group of users who have been helping out with the Non-English language forums, and they have taken on some of these functions. Bryan (Tin_Can) has volunteered his services just this week and I will be working with him on sort of a test case basis to work out the specifics of how I am going to do this. So stay tuned. If you have an area of interest that you would like to apply for please let me know. The neat thing about doing this site is all the great ideas that start flowing out of our collective heads. So no idea is bad. Some of the areas I will be looking for help include:

Photo Archivist(s)
Photo processing and uploading to the gallery. Will require Photoshop (or equivilent application) and a good knowledge of image resizing, level adjustments, and image compression.

Link Librarian
Will approve, catalog and find new links for the site link directory. Good Internet skills and ability to write up short descriptive text in English.

Staff Reporter(s)
Will compose and report on news stories of a hobby related topic. New releases, shows, etc. Good HTML and writing skills required. Some image editing ability useful.

If I can fill some of these spots that will allow me to concentrate on developing other things for the site (like the model database). If you have comments or questions just post them here so others can benefit from posted answers.

Thanks,
Jim
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 12:44 PM UTC
I'll volunteer for "Link Librarian" unless Ken wants it.
Also, congrats on building a truly awesome site.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 10:39 PM UTC
HI Jim;
I was talking with TUGA (in portuguese) and he suggest to translate some articles to the portuguese. I agree with him, it could make people to participate more in the site, I´ve seen some people I talked around here, I think the number of portuguese speakers are increasing, so I´d like to know your opinion.....
Cheers and congratulations for the general success!
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 10:45 PM UTC
Wow, five months already! Seems like I've spent more than that much time on the site since I've joined...
Maybe an idea for the site: Have a voluntary lockout feature. Users set a date when The site will not let them log in or look at any content so they can get some modelbuilding done! Just a thought :-) .

Great site Jim! It's been here for five months, and it looks to be around a long time from now. I know I'll be here quite a bit!

YodaMan
Go Clones!!! Star Wars rocks!!!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 11:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll volunteer for "Link Librarian" unless Ken wants it.
Also, congrats on building a truly awesome site.

BC,
Thanks! I will put you in the running.

Jim
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 11:15 PM UTC
I wouldn't mind assisting as one of the Photo Archivists.

Gunnie
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 11:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

HI Jim;
I was talking with TUGA (in portuguese) and he suggest to translate some articles to the portuguese. I agree with him, it could make people to participate more in the site, I´ve seen some people I talked around here, I think the number of portuguese speakers are increasing, so I´d like to know your opinion.....

Paulo,
That's a very good idea. One that comes to mind would be Paul Owen's weathering article. We'd just need to get his permission to translate. I have noted the large number of Brazilian sign-ups. A testiment to some of your help with promoting the site.

If you and TUGA want to draw up a list of translation canidates I would be happy to contact the authors about it.

Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, five months already! Seems like I've spent more than that much time on the site since I've joined...
Maybe an idea for the site: Have a voluntary lockout feature. Users set a date when The site will not let them log in or look at any content so they can get some modelbuilding done! Just a thought :-) .

Great site Jim! It's been here for five months, and it looks to be around a long time from now. I know I'll be here quite a bit!

YodaMan
Go Clones!!! Star Wars rocks!!!

LOL! Not sure if that lock-out feature would go over well in the long run.

Thanks YM!

Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 11:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wouldn't mind assisting as one of the Photo Archivists.

Gunnie

Gunnie,
Great. Your skill with your own site images certainly qualifies you for the job.

I will contact you via regular mail about how this will work.

Thanks,
Jim
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 11:27 PM UTC
I volunteer to help out with Photo Archivist(s) duties. I have Photoshop 6 and know how to use it pretty well.
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 11:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

HI Jim;

Paulo,
That's a very good idea. One that comes to mind would be Paul Owen's weathering article. We'd just need to get his permission to translate. I have noted the large number of Brazilian sign-ups. A testiment to some of your help with promoting the site.

If you and TUGA want to draw up a list of translation canidates I would be happy to contact the authors about it.

Jim

Jim,

I think that all articles published can be translated, so if you get the authors permissions and inform us, we can start translating those.

Wonderful site. I'm available to help you to keep ARMORAMA running.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 11:33 PM UTC
WOW, So many already!?!?
It only goes to show that when folks find out about a good thing they want to come and share in it's GLORY. So many of the Senior Members that have worked so hard, to make this site what it is, That brings people like myself here to enjoy the conversations and the ideas. SO Thanks JIm, Yoda, And all the rest of you.

DAGGER-1 " When Science Fails, Brute Force Win's"
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 11:42 PM UTC
I think I'll just stick to being a forum moderator. I'm not to experienced with the other ares where you're asking for help. Maybe I could help classify or organize the forums? We'd have to come up with some kind of system... but I think some group listings would be nice. (similar topics in a group... I'll elaborate later)

YodaMan
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 01:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think that all articles published can be translated, so if you get the authors permissions and inform us, we can start translating those.

José & Paulo,
Well doing them all would be a big undertaking but if you're up for it....great.

The way to do this would be for me to send the HTML page for each feature story to you in text. I don't know how comfortable either of you are working with HTML but basically the code would need to remain intact but all the other text would get translated. You could do it in Frontpage or Dreamweaver I guess pretty easily.

Just let me know if you want me to email some to start.

Thanks,
Jim

ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 02:16 AM UTC
Jim, José told he knows a lot about html, so you can chose the articles you want to get start and send one for ech of us......José espero que você concorde com o que eu disse agora....
Send it by regular e-mail, thanks
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,454 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 03:05 AM UTC
I volunteer to be enthusiastic about all the volunteers....great site and great company!
Cheers
Arthur
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 04:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

José & Paulo,
Well doing them all would be a big undertaking but if you're up for it....great.

The way to do this would be for me to send the HTML page for each feature story to you in text. I don't know how comfortable either of you are working with HTML but basically the code would need to remain intact but all the other text would get translated. You could do it in Frontpage or Dreamweaver I guess pretty easily.

Just let me know if you want me to email some to start.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

I think I can open the article, save it to my Pc HD, edit the text and send the file back to you.

I will do that with the articles from Digital Dioramas (they are small so they are a good point to start and see how the things runs). Meanwhile if you can get the author permission you will be able to published them when we send them.

Paulo,

Concordo com a sua mensagem.

_GOTOTOP