Hosted by Darren Baker
Modern British Houses??????
Scoonesy
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 06:16 AM UTC
As some of you may know from another post, I am building a 1:35 sas diorama in england, for this I need to get some modern british houses and i was thinking of scratch building out of balsa wood but i've never done that before and i want to see what else is up in the market before I try that. So please send any links you can find of 1:35 modern-looking houses that look like they could be suitable in a british diorama, Thanks!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 09:19 AM UTC
Matt if you are covering a certain part of the UK be aware that housing does change from area to area mostly in terms of the age of the buildings. As an example if you were covering somewhere like Salisbury even Tudor houses would be acceptable.
Modelmadness
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 09:20 AM UTC
Not a lot I'm afraid...scratch building would be better as you could have whatever you want...also wouldn't it be better to do a northern Ireland SAS diorama?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 10:14 AM UTC
Matt having given this some more thought and the diorama you wish to make can I suggest you look up Imber village. this is a village that was taken over by the military for training purposes in WW2 and was never returned to civilian use. there is also a German village and I believe an Afghan one as well now.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 06:35 PM UTC
You'd probably be better off scratchbuilding it, but having said that, you could look into "G" Scale buildings. The actual scale varies wildly from one company to the next, but here are a few that might be acceptable:

Aristo-Craft - 1/29
Aster - 1/32
Hartland Locomotive Works - some are 1/29
Marklin "MAXI" - 1/32
MTH Rail-King - 1/32
USA Trains “Ultimate” Series - 1/29

Aristo-Craft makes a very nice modern farmhouse that has a very English feel to it. They also do a Victorian train station, both in 1/29. The scale differences wouldn't be nearly as noticeable as with vehicles and figures, and you could always make shorter doors. These kits are rather pricey.

_GOTOTOP