_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon Sherman Jumbo 1/35th Scale...?
DieselRocket
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 09:48 AM UTC
Whatever happened to the 1/35th Dragon Sherman Jumbo that was going to be released first part of 2011? Anybody know?

KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 02:53 PM UTC
Well, the "first half of 2011" still has two months to go, so it isn't late yet . . .

KL
miaonowitzki
Visit this Community
Beijing, China / 简体
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 03:05 PM UTC
haha, this is dragon's plan. release a box art, then some people will stick to it and ignore the TASCA one which is much better than the dragon one.
DieselRocket
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 03:23 PM UTC
I guess I should have said Jan or Feb. That's what their site used to say, now they don't even have it on there anymore. Anyone have any "real" info?

miaonowitzki
Visit this Community
Beijing, China / 简体
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 03:44 PM UTC
i doubt that they have finish this project and that it will show up this year.
they said it would come out in Jan or Feb because they're trying to stop some people like you buying the TASCA one. they just can't simply provide a CAD poster. dragon did this every time when they tried to compete with other companies on a very same item. if you really want a jumbo, buy the TASCA one, if not, just wait and build other kits on your shelf.
stevieneon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 08:07 PM UTC
I have just received the Tasca Jumbo and it is superb. I've built about 4 or 5 Dragon Shermans and the Tasca one wins hands down for engineering, fit and accuracy. Don't wit - buy the Tasca one. you won't be disappointed. Stevie.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 08:23 AM UTC
Sorry don't believe anyone's announcements till I see plastic on Perth Mil Mod.....

AFV Club M42 Duster anybody.... 4years so far.. .....
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 10:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry don't believe anyone's announcements till I see plastic on Perth Mil Mod.....

AFV Club M42 Duster anybody.... 4years so far.. .....

If it's a new Duster you want, just let me get about 75% of the way through upgrading the Tamiya dog in my stash - that usually prompts a new release!

As for the Jumbo, I'm going the Tasca route given the quality of their kits and DML's history of design boo-boos in its Shermans.

Tom
DieselRocket
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 12:22 PM UTC
Thanks everybody. Seems here lately Dragon has done decent in delivering a lot of new stuff - just disappointed this hasn't been released. Yeah, Tasca is most definitely probably better. However, I'd rather pay for a Dragon Smart Kit and fix a few things than ransom my first born son off to Pacific Coast Models for a Tasca kit.

miaonowitzki
Visit this Community
Beijing, China / 简体
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 03:16 PM UTC
it can hardly be called a smart kit...old lower hull, old suspension, old turret maybe, it's just another sherman variant like the ones released before. dragon should re-tool new late type VVSS like they did to the initial VVSS
cheers.Miao
stevieneon
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 09:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks everybody. Seems here lately Dragon has done decent in delivering a lot of new stuff - just disappointed this hasn't been released. Yeah, Tasca is most definitely probably better. However, I'd rather pay for a Dragon Smart Kit and fix a few things than ransom my first born son off to Pacific Coast Models for a Tasca kit.

Well, for me in the UK at least, the Tasca kits are not TOO expensive. I ordered mine directly from their website, along with 3 extra sets of tracks, the Cullin hedgerow device and a set of British rear bustle storage boxes, and with surface mail postage (which only took 2 weeks), the total price was £61, which is a complete bargain. Also, no import duty to pay! Stevie.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 09:59 PM UTC
You were lucky then,

UK Import duty is levied on anything over £28.00,
Plus the PO 'handling charge' of £8.00 - £12.00

so the moral is "don't ship by Air Mail then"?
stevieneon
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 - 05:36 AM UTC
Hhhhhmmmmmmm. Dunno! Maybe 'cos it's from Japan? A few years ago I ordered a T34 from Cyber hobby in Hong Kong, and did have to pay shipping and the post office handling charge for that, but that was air-mail! I WAS expecting to pay import and a handling charge on the Jumbo, so was pleasantly surprised when I didn't have to pay anything!!!!! Maybe I was lucky. I wouldn't have thought it made a difference to the post office wether it was air-mail or surface-mail - you'd expect to pay import and handling on both?!?!?!?!
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 - 05:46 AM UTC
I was able to get the Tasca Sherman for $61.99 at my local hobby shop. For once his price was close to mail order so I had to support the store. It was well worth it. its a great kit. I have quite a few Dragon Shermans which I will build rather then replace. But for new I'll go Tasca. Next the Easy 8 Korea. I always liked the look of Rices Red Devils.

Tom
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hhhhhmmmmmmm. Dunno! Maybe 'cos it's from Japan? A few years ago I ordered a T34 from Cyber hobby in Hong Kong, and did have to pay shipping and the post office handling charge for that, but that was air-mail! I WAS expecting to pay import and a handling charge on the Jumbo, so was pleasantly surprised when I didn't have to pay anything!!!!! Maybe I was lucky. I wouldn't have thought it made a difference to the post office wether it was air-mail or surface-mail - you'd expect to pay import and handling on both?!?!?!?!

Wellll...
there has been some.... discussions on other well known UK forums, about this topic, consensus is:
Parcels not covered in adverts from Japanese companies attract less attention.
Surface Parcel Post ditto:
If you get charged or not is at their whim & what they think it's worth, not what you paid for it.
& work out the charges to include in your cost calculations, sooner or later you will get hammered!
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 - 09:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Kyle, I hear ya. But as my son is now the "classic" teenager, there are days where I'd ransom him for a tube of glue!

Seriously, over here the Tasca kit goes for about £50. The newer DML releases are nosing up towards the high 40s, so the price difference is getting small enough for the quality issue to take precedence.

(I avoid the overseas mail-order game everyone's been mentioning because any great savings can be wiped out at any time by an unlucky import duty demand by HM Customs. And painful as it seems, they are of course well within their right to claim the duty as per the law...)

Tom
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 - 01:45 PM UTC
It's in the same place as the 25 pdr and I'm sure it will eventually be released. Just DML marketing at it's best. From memory the Germn HT took about 13 mths from Stunning announcement til release by which stage the competion had a 12 mth headstart.
The Price difference here between DML and Tasca is getting closer all the time and I personally believe the Tasca kits are worth every cent although I won't dismiss all of DML's Shermans. The M4105 and later 8E8 variants are pretty damn good.
Cheers
Al
 _GOTOTOP